Tree smelled like Bengay when cut....some kind of Birch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black Birch like the guys said.
Be sure to score the bark down to wood if you're not going to split the logs right away. Birches "pooch" ( or "rot" if you're not Maine speaking ) fast since the bark is waterproof.
PM me for the bill. :cheers::cheers:

Black Birch like the guys said.
Be sure to score the bark down to wood if you're not going to split the logs right away. Birches "pooch" ( or "rot" if you're not Maine speaking ) fast since the bark is waterproof.
PM me for the bill. :cheers::cheers:

Yep split that up right quick. She'll be good too go this wintah.:cheers:

thanks for the spliting right away tip, I didn't know that...will have to set it aside...two of us widened about 500 feet of road for the animal shelter we volunteer at and have to get the trees out quickly, I can barely get it off my truck and trailer fast enough to get back for more...I didn't have enough pallets staged and ready in my yard for all of it but I don't want to turn down the wood :) I may actually end up with all of next years even for a hungy owb...

Cutting up some trees tonight that I felled last weekend...got to what I think is a Birch of some kind...real smooth bark, almost like paper, no real thickness to any of it's grain, grey in color, yellowish inside...as I'm carrying it to the trailer I keep smelling this Bengay or sportscream type smell....damn I think..some old guy with sore muscles was snatching some of my trees today...I can still smell his Bengay! After a half hour of it I sniffed the wood for some reason...damn it smells exactly like Bengay when cut, stuff I cut yesterday didn't smell anymore so it goes away fast.

Just curious, what kind of tree is this?
Lol! I just burnt some wood and though it smells like ben gay, when I was at the chicken coop. Only got one egg and thought someone stole the rest. Had that smell whiff by and realized it was the wood, lol!

Latest posts

Back