Tree sterilization

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougle

Reaction score
I live in San Diego and have a ficus that produces a ton of berries. I've heard that there is a spray or some way to sterilize the tree to stop or slow the berry production. Is this true, or just a rumor. If true what do I do?
Thanks for your time, Doug

Check into a product named Florel. I do not know if it is approved for Ficus or not but it does inhibit fruiting on many species.

It is not a RUP, but the timing is so criticsal that you need someone who knows what they are doing.

Also be advised that it is a crop thinning agent, it will not completely remove all the fruit. Just reduce the fruit load.

When searching for a applicator, look for someone who can explain the timing phenology for the application. How many degree days are needed or what other indicator plant they use to determine efficacy of application.

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn

Also be advised that it is a crop thinning agent, it will not completely remove all the fruit. Just reduce the fruit load.

Translation: It's not 100% effective.

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
When searching for a applicator, look for someone who can explain the timing phenology for the application. How many degree days are needed or what other indicator plant they use to determine efficacy of application.

Translation: Look for somebody who's used this stuff before.

Thanks to all!!

Thanks again to all of you. It's been very enlightening. Even if it just stops half of these stupid berries I'll be thrilled! I'm going to print out this page so that I'm sure to ask all the right questions.

Thanks again, Doug

While I've never applied this type of stuff, I have been around female ginko trees that have been treated. Made a world of difference!

My advice would be 2 treatments. As I understand the way the treatment works, it basically sterilizes the flowers which would in turn produce the fruit. Apply the first treatment when the tree really begins to flower heavily, and the second treatment should come about a week or so later, to hit the remaining flowers that have begun to bloom since the first treatment. An example, and I'm guessing here, if the first treatment would normally take care of ~70% of the fruit, then the second treatment should take care of an additional 15-20% of the fruit.

We don't have to deal with ficus like that around here, since they don't get that big. They are normally indoor house plants!

Dan

Back