Trees Dying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanGage

Reaction score
We have many oak trees in our neighborhood that are dying. The leaves are ALL falling off (they don't typically do this in Florida in the Fall)and at the same time that the leaves are falling, these round balls of bright green leaves,that look like new growth appear and then eventually the tree dies. Is there any disease that affects oak trees in this way? The trees are probably 50 ft. tall, and the neighboorhood was developed 3 years ago.

I think you answered your own question, Dan. The neighborhood was 'developed' 3 years ago. All that heavy equipment scraping off all the grass (and tree roots) and compacting the soil so the remaining roots suffocate. I have yet to see more than one or two developers around here take any reasonable measures to protect the trees. Most think that the tree only exists ABOVE ground, then wonder why the trees die.

The bright green balls are Mistletoe. It is a parasitic plant that sucks the nutrients out of the host tree. It usually starts in trees weakened by other factors, then eventually weakens the tree enough to kill it (along with other opportunistic critters taking advantage of the weakened tree).

Last edited:
Hey Brian,
I was just thinking, have you ever seen a tree killed by mistletoe? I don't think I have. I've seen quite a few that have been infested for years, but are not dead. I seems to me that a parasite which kills its host is not very efficient. Just a thought.

Too true, infestations are just symptoms of other problems.

Dig as foundation, raise the grade, compact the soil with a dozer, then watch Dr. shigo's sporal of death start to begin. It takes several years, so the developers always say "I've never seen a problem!"

I stuck my foot in it the other day, was telling my clients customer about the problem and turned out the owner is the developer "they been there for 12 years!" "They are in pretty bad shape too!" sais I.

Back