Trencher converted to mini skidder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblue12v

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I found some info on another tree related forum (idk if I can mention its name here?) Anyway, I'm picking up an ugly old Vermeer trencher for peanuts and the only attachment left on it is the blade. Previous owners scrapped the trencher bar and current owner is keeping backhoe attachment. He says it's a Perkins 4 cylinder diesel and narrow Dana 60 axles. All I know is it's badass and the minute I laid eyes on it in February I said I want it and I wanna make a small log skidder out of it! He finally said he would sell it to me for what he had in it if he could keep the backhoe attachment. I have a 10k winch to put on it.
Anyone else here done this?! I'm all about some pictures if so! This is only picture I have of this one right now. Hopefully picking it up tomorrow. uploadfromtaptalk1432920784620.JPG

I'd love to have something like that around the property to bring in the firewood with. Maybe even take it short distances to clean up people woods. I would take agood look at the frame, might even want to reinforce it in areas before subjecting it to abuse.

Don't waste the existing hydraulics - go with a hydraulic winch and maybe a small rear boom. I have mulled over in my mind many times making a small skidder from one of those for level ground recreational skidding. But I have too many unfinished projects and junk. ROPS would be nice. Don't forget that they are pretty heavy despite the compact size. Ron

Right now it has to stay low budget. The winch I have is electric. Maybe later I can go hydraulic but for now it's run what ya brung. Today got nixed but tomorrow morning I'm planning to go get it. Trying to get it before he changes his mind lol. I'm just using it for my firewood gathering, personal use, so I can't justify sinking a lot of money in it at once. I'm overall pretty clueless about skidders in general so I don't really know what to fashion it after. My girlfriends brother is starting a logging business and has a John Deere skidder it sounds like I would benefit from talking him into letting me work with them and see what is good and bad ideas to use and learn how they are used in real life. His doesn't have a grapple, mine won't either for now.

Got it home today! I have the steps, guards, blade, ROPS, etc for it all in a pile here... Some assembly required. Starts and runs good and is a blast to drive. Needs something fixed in the hydraulic steering. Don't have time to mess with it right now. But here are some pictures! It's a Vermeer 440 steers on front axle not articulated
uploadfromtaptalk1433103731203.jpguploadfromtaptalk1433103770923.jpguploadfromtaptalk1433103902102.jpg

Awesome man, that will be a great tool with some work. I think if you spent some time on a real skidder you would see how superior articulating equipment can be but, for what it is you have a great platform to build on.

Awesome man, that will be a great tool with some work. I think if you spent some time on a real skidder you would see how superior articulating equipment can be but, for what it is you have a great platform to build on.
Yea my gf's bro has a Deere 440 I think and I need to ride along to see what it's all about.
A removable splitter off the hydraulics would be cool.
I have a couple splitters already, one is an attachment I built for a front mower. It could be set up on this but I don't think I have any use for that really right now. Good thinking though.

Haven't had much time to mess with the beast but I've found out why my hydraulic wheel drive mode is inoperative. The hydraulic motor for the wheels has been disconnected, I'm assuming due to a past failure in that system. I really have no use for repairing that in my mind since creeping speeds won't be of much use to me. However if I ever wanted to use the rear PTO it only works when shifted into hydraulic drive mode so I have to halt ground travel to run the PTO but I could set it up to do both at same time I suppose. Doing that would make it only work when in motion though. I do have rear hydraulic lines for trencher raise/lower cylinder, so if I can get hold of a hydraulic winch those could be used to power it. I really like the idea of a hydraulic winch but for right now it's money I don't have to spend. Just need to get the charging system working properly. As for the standard hydraulic pump, it gets really hot while not seeming to produce any hydraulic power so hopefully it just needs rebuilt. Might get to tear into it tomorrow. I bolted the steps and roll bar back on using all new grade 8 bolts. After fixing hydraulics and reinstalling the blade, I'll build a proper roll cage with the up rights going off the blade push frame upward on the front of machine then to the rear roll bar at an angle, with sheet metal roof and some expanded metal caging for protection. Should look pretty sweet when done.

Do you have any idea what ratio gear set is in it? Are the axles spooled? I'm just being nosey, sorry but it looks like a fun project.

Do you have any idea what ratio gear set is in it? Are the axles spooled? I'm just being nosey, sorry but it looks like a fun project.
Your nosiness don't bother me, i would be just as nosey myself if I were you lol

I have no idea of gear ratio. Low, because wound out in third gear is a whopping 7-8 mph maybe ten tops. There's no gear box just chain and sprocket sets for reduction from trans to axles. The whole machine is insanely simple. C channel frame rails, rear axle solid mounted, front on a pivot like a tractor. Engine, 4 speed trans with output shaft with sprocket going to jack shaft with large sprocket, next to it a small one running a large one again mounted on rear axle pinion (lots of gear reduction in the sprockets), one driveshaft connecting the axles, a pair of love joys with a shifter to shift from ground drive only (straight drive via transmission) to hydraulic drive and PTO mode. And the engine has belt drive PTO pump that powers steering, dozer blade, and other lines that would run backhoe and trencher bar raise/lower. Battery under left foot, hydraulic and fuel tanks in fenders. Mechanical fuel gauge. Pull cable for engine shut off. Push button to engage starter solenoid. What looks like a GM internally regulated alternator. Mechanical pinion disk brake. Mechanical clutch no hydraulics. Don't know if I mentioned it but I've found out that the Perkins diesel is rated at 57hp.

I think it's spooled front and rear but haven't got that far. One day I'm going to power wash it and then I'll turn the front tires around the right way. Figure out charging system and mount winch on back, rebuild pump hopefully that's it and she'll be ready to go start pulling some timber!
I also made a new bracket to hold the muffler better, although I'm thinking about a vertical stack once the cage is done. Can't wait to play with this thing!

Depends on how much low hanging stuff your going to be driving through. I think the best exhaust would be up over the cab roof like most skidders have. Run the pipe on the inside next to the roll bar that goes from the front of the tractor to the top of the ROP so I doesn't get banged up.

For a machine this size, is a grapple or cable winch setup more effective? Seems like only the big skidders have a grapple and smaller machines are cable style which kind of makes sense as it gives them a way to overcome their smaller size, slacking the cable to drive just the machine through areas they might not pull logs through and then pulling the logs back to them.
Am I on the right track?

For a machine this size, is a grapple or cable winch setup more effective? Seems like only the big skidders have a grapple and smaller machines are cable style which kind of makes sense as it gives them a way to overcome their smaller size, slacking the cable to drive just the machine through areas they might not pull logs through and then pulling the logs back to them.
Am I on the right track?
I agree. I personally would stick with a cable winch for a machine this size. It would add the least amount of weigh to the machine too if it matters.

Back