Tribute to quality splitting axes. Photos of your splitting AXES and MAULS.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric Modell

Eric Modell

ArboristSite Operative
Granfors are the best if wood handle and tradition are inportant

I have no camera but my large Granfors is the best for spitting. I always use it on a block and take very good care of it, it is special. I have several other axed and mauls that are special also but the Granfors will be sacred in 20 or thirty more years. It has a wood handle, much better then steel or fiberglass.

jeepdriver

jeepdriver

ArboristSite Lurker
Chopper 1 axe

I've used this Chopper 1 axe for about 4 years, the maul has been around longer than me. My grandpa gave it to me when he thought I was old enough to split wood (probably about 10 years old) he never would let me near the buzzsaw. The guy in the Chopper 1 video on their site aint splittin elm!!
http://www.chopperaxe.com/whatis.htm

picture.php

picture.php

MtnHermit

MtnHermit

ArboristSite Operative
My collection:

Mauls_1856.jpg

Mauls_1857.jpg

The yellow fiberglass handle get 100% of the work, with an occasional assist from the small sledge hammer. If that doesn't work then the block goes back on the pile for a year of Colorado sun, that always solves the stubborn blocks.

I can't comfortably swing the MM, second from left. Third is an 8# given to me, since I miss 1/500 swings that hickory handle would be at risk.

I split 3-4 cords per year on an as needed basis, the colder the air temp the easier it splits. Good upper body exercise.

Latest posts