Tried out my new ms290, I have some questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
istockphoto_5829195-hearing-protection-ear-muffs.jpg

i could probably find a user manual if you need help with how to put them on, i dont think anyone wearing a pair of these is concerned with looking cool. sounds like its actually the opposite .. if youre gona be bucking up logs for a couple hours, youd have to be an idiot not to slip a pair on.

do you also not wear eye protection because you want a better view of the chip before it lands in your eye?

istockphoto_5829195-hearing-protection-ear-muffs.jpg

i could probably find a user manual if you need help with how to put them on, i dont think anyone wearing a pair of these is concerned with looking cool. sounds like its actually the opposite .. if youre gona be bucking up logs for a couple hours, youd have to be an idiot not to slip a pair on.

do you also not wear eye protection because you want a better view of the chip before it lands in your eye?

Obviously you need some reading glasses cause i already posted i wear glasses, i used to be a welder, glasses were a must. Infact of my 4yrs welding i never saw any guys with ear phones on, around the job site. Wait there were some but they were guys that also got out in their polo shirts and dockers and complained about how muddy and dirty the conditions were.

rsc chain made a big improvement on my 290 with a 18 inch bar and several of my buddies switched their 20 and 16 inch bars to this setup it just seems to balance and cut the best in my neck of the woods.

Yea, I already took that safety chain off and put a normal one on there and it seems much much better. Is the stock bar good? I noticed it was a low kickback one.

Its probably a Rollomatic E bar. Very long lasting and light bar. IMO, and many others, Stihl bars can't be beat for both quality and price.

Clay...read up a bit on tinnitus. That is the ringing you will get to hear later in life that will keep you up at night. My father suffers from it now, as well as he now wears hearing aids due to a life of not wearing hearing protection...from tank main guns, jackhammers, chainsaws, rifles etc... He's 76 and sure wishes now that he had taken better care of his ears. It really embarrasses and hurts him when his 4yr old grandchild wonders why he's ignoring her...he isn't he just isn't able to hear her.

Clay...read up a bit on tinnitus. That is the ringing you will get to hear later in life that will keep you up at night. My father suffers from it now, as well as he now wears hearing aids due to a life of not wearing hearing protection...from tank main guns, jackhammers, chainsaws, rifles etc... He's 76 and sure wishes now that he had taken better care of his ears. It really embarrasses and hurts him when his 4yr old grandchild wonders why he's ignoring her...he isn't he just isn't able to hear her.

I got tinnitus and if you like ringing in your ears all the time it's great.That actor from the old Star Trek show William Schatner I think is his name has it bad.

Ditto what these guys say on the hearing protection. Clay, your young so your "life" hasn't lead to much exposure. I'm 32, been around loud stuff my entire life. For years in the mining industry and later doing tree work. Its only a matter of time before some type of hearing loss sets in. My hearing has sufered from not wearing ear protection. Ringing in my left ear pretty much non-stop.

I got it from a rhino driving pipe only lasted a few days. I wore ear protection the next day. I wear it if its extremely loud, a chainsaw isnt extremely loud to me. Thats all im trying to say, i dont think a chainsaw is loud enough for me atleast.

The biggest reason i dont wear it when i cut, is cause i usually cut dead oak. They are notorious for limbs falling early. I look up as much as i can but still.

*Sorry wouldnt edit*

a chainsaw isnt extremely loud to me. Thats all im trying to say, i dont think a chainsaw is loud enough for me atleast.

BECAUSE YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE DAMAGE TO YOUR HEARING! :dizzy:

even a 35cc saw with bone stock muffler will make your ears ring after using it..:music:

The biggest reason i dont wear it when i cut, is cause i usually cut dead oak. They are notorious for limbs falling early. I look up as much as i can but still.

*Sorry wouldnt edit*

so dont wear them while dropping the tree! thats acceptable, and a lot of people do it, but once its on the ground, there is no excuse for not wearing some sort of hearing protection!

BECAUSE YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE DAMAGE TO YOUR HEARING! :dizzy:

even a 35cc saw with bone stock muffler will make your ears ring after using it..:music:
Ok let me get this straight your a Pro timber feller, and a ear docter now.....:moneymouth:

Thumbs up to hearing protection crowd, you my friends are wise.

Thumbs down to the (soon to be) hearing aid crowd. Thumbing your nose at the entire medical community and the entire workforce protection community and your fellow sawyers on this site who offer good advice, well, not so wise.

There is nothing cool about hearing aides. I'm ok with being a geek for a few hours when I wear my ppe. Spending the last 20 to 40 years of my life going "huh?" and having non stop ringing (it's real), not cool.

I cut and split an oak this morning, came in took a shower, ate lunch, took a nap, got up and stacked my wood, played with the dogs, came in and started watching ND whip Pitt in basketball tonight. Wife came home and wondered why I had the TV blasting. Whoops, still had my foam earplugs stuffed tight in my ears.\\ I kinda like not hearing anything when I don't have to and hearing very good when I really want to.

Back