Trimming A Big Oak Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

820wards

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I contacted a tree trimmer this weekend where my home in the CA foothills is located to have a very old/large tree trimmed of it dead wood and missletoe. The Oak is easily 120ys. old and is really big, and there was no way I'm climbing the tree. (getting to old for that tree climbing) The trimmer quoted me a price of $375 to trim the tree and I though wow, that's a very reasonable price considering the size of the tree. He's a local guy in the area who works with his son. He will trim the tree and pile the excess limbs in a pile for me to dispose of. I have a DR chipper that I can chip the limbs.

My Questions are:

*Does anyone know if it's good or OK to throw the mulch out onto the ground will all the missletoe mixed in, is it a bad idea?

* Could spreading the chips with the missletoe effect other oaks on the property?

* Should or could it be burned when burning is allowed.

Any help is appreciated.

jerry-

If you trim the mistletoe before the seeds form, it should be OK to use it in your mulch. If the trees have a little mistletoe, you might be able to rid tree of it. If there is a lot of it in the tree and on different levels of branching, then you won't be able to be completely free of it. When the seeds mature, birds eat them and spread them, and as they fall off the mistletoe stems, they will wind up on other branches. Trimming it out is a good idea but if there is a large colony thru out the tree, you will have to decide if it is worth it.

If you trim the mistletoe before the seeds form, it should be OK to use it in your mulch. If the trees have a little mistletoe, you might be able to rid tree of it. If there is a lot of it in the tree and on different levels of branching, then you won't be able to be completely free of it. When the seeds mature, birds eat them and spread them, and as they fall off the mistletoe stems, they will wind up on other branches. Trimming it out is a good idea but if there is a large colony thru out the tree, you will have to decide if it is worth it.
Welcome, Andrew.

Why not have the tree trimmer take up some pruning paint to spray on the mistletoe? That will keep it from coming back as strong.

Too old for climbing? No way! Lotsa climbers in this forum in their 50's and some in their 60's

One guy around here climbed well into his 70's. However it was only for demonstration purposes as I hear. He's gotta be over 80 by now and might very well still be climbing.

How old are you Treeseer? I feel like an old turd trying it out for the first time at 44, but I figure it's now or never... :greenchainsaw:
57 in a couple weeks. Blinky was 46 when he started with trees and he's doing okay.

There is quite a bit of mistletoe in the tree. The local tree trimmer I have contacted said it's not enough to kill the tree, so I want to get it done soon. I will have him do a complete pruning while he's up in the tree. I'm 55 and there is no way I'm going up that tree to trim. So birds are the culprits. I'm retiring in two weeks so I'll be up there when he does the trimming. I try getting some pictures while he's working. Thank you for the information.

jerry-

Back