Trimming branches with a shotgun?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ralphbsz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Northern California, Santa Cruz Mountains
Could you use a shotgun for tree trimming, using them to remove medium-sized branches?

Here's the situation. I have a whole lot of madrone and oak trees around the house. They aren't very big (often only 12" diameter at the base), but often quite tall, 30 or 40 feet. I want to trim quite a few medium-sized branches on them; typically these are 2" or 3" diameter branches. There are no easy ways for me to trim these branches: they are way too high for pole pruners or pole saws, the terrain is steep, so leaning ladders against the trees is difficult and unsafe, plus I refuse to use pole saws or chainsaws while on a ladder, the trees are too small to climb safely, and I'm not a good enough tree climber anyhow, and the saw-chain-on-a-rope (toss a weight over the branch, then two people run the chain back and forth) is way too difficult to use among dense branches, and too time-consuming. I have no idea how a professional would be able to get these branches efficiently.

So the idea is: Use a 12-gauge shotgun, with a long barrel, and a good choke that gives a tight pattern, then shoot at the branch and sever it.

Safety: We live on a large lot (10 acres), far away from the nearest house (which is about 1/2 mile away). Bird shot doesn't fly far (AFAIK range for fine shot is about 100 yards), so even if shooting up at a 45 degree angle, this would guarantee that the shot can not hit anyone. We are allowed to fire guns on our land.

So the real question is: would this even work? How many shots would be required to sever such a branch? Is it even possible to damage a tree branch enough to break it off using a shotgun? Is this too crazy to try?

The other easy option is to simply fell all the trees that have offending branches - but that's obviously silly, throwing the baby out with the bathwater. By the way, why do I want to remove these branches? They come in a few categories. First are dead branches on otherwise live trees, that look unsightly, and I've heard that one should remove dead parts of madrones quickly, to reduce the spread of the blight to healthy parts of the tree and to other trees. Second are branches that are growing towards the house and are going to start whipping the house in a storm. Third is that I'm about to set up a wireless internet connection, and a few of these small branches are in the way of the receiving antenna. Last are branches that grow over the private road we share with several neighbors, and we like to keep vegetation above the road down, both to get more sun and light (road dries faster, and looks better), and to reduce the amount of leaves falling onto the road and collecting in the gutters and culverts.

Ok, I have removed a bee hive and I have shot a small branch off because my rope got hung up and the tree was caught in another. At about 25 feet with buckshot it took probably 15 shells. All of them hit. The branch was about 4 inches in diameter. I would not recomend this because you are gonna pump that tree full a lead and then some day when you do have it cut it is gonna cost you a fortune because of all the chains your tree man dulled. If I were you I would get several estimates and shell out a little bit a dough to your local licensed and insured treeman. I think you will be surprised at how reasonable it will be. Good luck

If blight in a madrone is a concern, you need to consider the collateral damage from the wounding that lead shot would do. SOD is another concern. If you can't stand on a ladder while tied in and use a pole tool to make the proper cuts, you need a professional.

When you get estimates, look at the maintenance cost over time, as in $x/year. Good tree care is an excellent investment. Check the link below, and go to www.isa-arbor.com to find a Certied Arborist.

:laugh: :laugh:

Wait.... You're serious?
shocked.gif

So, you really think a load of birdshot is going to take limbs off cleanly? And you aren't concerned about all the shot you are going to embed in other limbs, many of which will be living? And you are sure enough of your safety zone that you are willing to risk putting out someone's eye (with birdshot) or killing them (if you use buckshot)? Uh, you DO know that firing at a 45 degree angle is exactly the way to get the most distance from your shot, and the projectiles will return to the ground with sufficient energy to do serious damage, don't you?

File this one under, "What was I thinking?" and move on.

Use slugs instead of shot. Have used that technique quite a few times on my uncle's dairy farm, and have taken off limbs 10" in diameter up to about 30 feet with it. The bigger limbs (like the 10 inch one) will take a half dozen shots or so, but actually quite a few less than I originally thought.

I have heard of some large farmers in rougher country (lots of timber, small fields), and they'll go through a case of slugs over the course of a few years trimming limbs in this method.

Now, I'm not saying this is good for the tree... it leaves a very jagged/ripped open stub. But, it does work.

RAMRod

I also posted the same question on shotgunworld.

Let me summarize the majority view of the responses: First, what I'm proposing to do is safe, if you leave enough room for the shot to fly (which is clearly the case at our house, as we have 1/2 mile clearance). Whether there might be ricochets coming back is disputed, but the overwhelming majority of responses say either there are none, or they are harmless enough to only require safety glasses.

This technique of using firearms to cut branches seems to even be used regularly for very small stuff. It even seems to work for larger branches, but requires a lot of ammo. The better results seem to come from larger ammo: buckshot or slugs (which then need much more safety space, as a slug can travel a mile easily); one example was a 10-inch branch requiring half a dozen slugs.

One of the biggest problems with this technique seems to be that it leaves extra lead in the trunk, and that it leaves a torn-up and ragged cut, which can cause rot and infection.

So in summary, the answer is neither a clear yes nor a clear no, but there is disagreement between responders, and it also seems to depend on the situation: rough country and mostly unmanaged forest versus suburban yard with carefully maintained trees.

If you can get swan shot over there, in paper cartridges, unfold the top, melt some candlewax into it. Close the cartridge again. It'll chop thru' railway sleepers so I'm sure it'll take out small branches. Not that I'd advocate any such practice, no way.

The guy in the movie PREDITOR took down an entire trees with a machine gun, call your Gov. and see if he can help you out. Get the National Gaurd out and do some vista pruning on that steep incline.

I can't even believe I am responding to a thread about shooting off tree limbs with a shotgun, but here it goes, bad idea, besides the ricochet problems, jagged cuts, lead imbedded limbs and trunk, bark damage, causing more decay and dead limbs. Call a local arborist, get a cut and leave price, put some targets on the brush pile and have a ball. :)

"it leaves a torn-up and ragged cut, which can cause rot and infection. So in summary, the answer is neither a clear yes nor a clear no"

What we have here is a failure to (comprehend and) communicate. The answer is a clear "NO!@#$%^&*"
In summary, your proposal makes as much sense as hunting doves with a 40" long powerported chainsaw.

What wrong with using a polesaw while on a ladder, I do it all the time. And when on an 8' stepladder, I won't even try to BS you and say I'm tied in.

I thought about calling you names, but thats already been done, by folks better at it than I, so, I'm gonna suggest one of those wire saw thingys, you know, tie a rope to each end, throw it over a limb, and bombs away? If there's any weight to the limbs, the cut will probably look like you shot it off anyway. Hard to undercut with one, I'd imagine.
-Ralph

If your stupid enough to prune your tree's in this manner,you deserve any and all consequences of your actions.Including loosing the trees from the damage you inflict.Do you know how hard it is and how long it takes to grow a Mandrone tree?

I´m in the side of them which are against a such method for pruning (shooting).
Think sometimes in such manner, that these trees are giving to you beauty and shade, but you will shoot them.
Will do and can do lot of real pain and harm to them!

Latest posts

Back