Trimming evergreen trees.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<b>Part 2</b>

<i>Secondly, look at the cost of transplanting versus cutting down and replacing with something else.

Cutting down and replacement (say replacement with a viburnum for example):

Viburnum cost: ~$50
1 yard mulch cost:~$30
3 man hours to complete removal and replacement: $120

Total cost is approximately $200, and that is probably a high figure.

Transplanting:

You are looking at a minimum of 3 guys for at least 2 hours, probably 3 hours more realistically. Or 2 guys and a skidsteer, which should figure in as another man when estimating. I'm going to say with 2 guys and a skidsteer, it *might* take 2 hours, if they are good and have done it before and know what they are doing.

So, 6 man hours (remember the machine) equals $240 at a minimum. But, I still think 3 hours is more realistic for a total realistic cost of $360. Plus the aforementioned bare spot in the back. Not to mention no one in their right mind would garantee the shrub after it has been transplanted (at least I wouldn't!).

Yes, I have transplanted bigger things like this before. I know how long it takes. There is a cost/benefit analysis that you have to do to determine whether you think you should do it.

If it was a Japanese maple that was that tall (or even half that tall), I would be right there with you on moving it. It would be worth moving a tree that would be worth $1000-$1500 -- I've done it! (In the middle of July too! But that was a case where it had to be done in order for construction/demolition to continue. It was at a $2+ million house, so the homeowners could afford it.)</i>

I agree the photo doesn't have a specimen anything--home or landscaping. It is typical of cheap, uninspired, vulgar development that gets as much money as it can for the lowest expenses. Many times, the landscapes simply die. Here, it has survived, but is trapped in the distances laid down in a clumsy landscape design.

You suggest a cost difference of about $160. and a c/b analysis that would propel us away from transplanting. Fine. Seems to make sense.

But, let me think aloud. You start at ground zero with a felled yew and a new viburnum with classic prep and mulch. OK. That is cheaper than moving the yew and has no other concerns like a yew with a bad side.

You concede that the transplanted yew will improve, but the comparative dollars recommend a replacement.

But what if the replacement were a yew of the same size, nicely shaped with no bad sides? What would be that cost? I suspect your $160. difference goes all out of whack.

OK. Discount the flaw of an immediate bad side and reduce the costs. It's likely still out of whack.

A take down and replacemet is a base line. An equivalent yew repalcement is the upper line. The relaoction of my existing yew falls where?

It's just a few hundred bucks above your base line cost.

I'm not arguing about the choice of the species and what might be better. I'm talking about the cost of time. Not man hours. Time of the life of a tree in growing.

It doesn't matter if the tree grew here or in a nursey to attain the same size. The value, the extra value, is in its increased tangible growth and health.

That premium is dropped out of your analysis. It would be there in the context of someone calling you and wanting a tree like that, but it is a blind spot here.

What would it cost you to get that tree from a nursery? What would it cost you to pick it up and install the beast? What would be your overhead and margins?

What is the new comparative cost/benefit analysis?

I think this perspective is a fair and honest consideration. It generally isn't thought about given the replies. You imply it's easily obvious to you what becomes recommended. I suggest respectfully, to think about it.

And, I might go to the job, see it and absolutely change my mind. The devil is in the details. But, relocation is a viable alternative. Hell, it might even be an imperative--however it's spelled
<i>.

And lastly, I'm not trying to take a cheap shot here, but simply trying to make a point--- the fact that you are advocating "sliding it over on plastic" such as visquene or other heavy plastic tells me you haven't done much in the way of transplanting. Around here you use burlap, and I think that is pretty much standard for the industry. </i>

I don't care about cheap shots except to say that what I do on the job is dictated by what's there. I have standard practices and I have innovative urges. Whatever works is fine; whatever new that works is better.

Visqueen is reinforced and slippery. If I wrapped the ball in burlap, I still might slide it on plastic. Industry standards hold no magic for me. There were old ones replaced by new, and there will be new ones replacing the present.

I like to see many things as an evolution, not as static anchors. There wasn't a single engineer who didn't think I was a fool to hook a 4 mil plastic tube to a fire hydrant and move 300 gallons a minute through it without bursting. Worked fine. So much for standard thinking.

Arrogant? I put up with a lot of extended crap to push different ideas. I ought to be allowed to take some pride in those efforts--and I also ought to be able to say, I just don't talk about things; I do something about them--and encourage others that it feels good. Innovation is often its own reward.

As to transplanting, if we redid a park, I sent trees elsewhere rather than cutting them down for a new design. I even had a tree spade standing by when we moved a 727 through Jackson Park from a lake barge to the Museum of Science and Industry. I calculated we could angle the monster thru a row of Norways and if we couldn't, I'd pluck the whole tree out of the way and put it immediately back in place.

The Landscape Dept, in a fit of misinformation and uncoordination, anticipated the move by cutting back trees on both sides of the final street as if the plane were coming in for a landing!

Quite a difference in thinking, I'd say.

The wing tip just slipped though the maple, and the tree spade wasn't needed. The cost/benefit? The Museum picked up the tab for the spade standing by, at my request. The alternative to the stand by? One eternally malformed maple in a line of formal trees.<i>

I still think pruning/shearing would be the cheapest and easiest way to go. </i>

A) Pruning and shearing is the cheapest this year. And then next year...etc.

b) Felling existing and new viburnum; a bit more expensive with long deferred annual costs.

c) Wulkie sliding; a bit more expensive and looking awkward for a while--and maybe falling down in a big wind.

d) Felling the old and getting a duplicate yew to be put in a better place; suprisingly expensive--and so much so as to look back at the other alternatives.

I hope you inderstand, decisions generally become simple by ignoring the complications. Works fine for most of us most of the time, but I don't think that alone is the proof of the value of the technique.

Complications come back to haunt us, and I agree they won't likely be haunting us in the subject photo. But, they will haunt us elsewhere in our jobs as professionals, which is why I mutter about <u> routine practices</u> that quickly turn big trees into hazard trees--and we don't seem to notice or care.

Small item here; big item on a different job. If we can stretch our thinking here, maybe it can stretch elsewhere.

<i>
And Mike- I love your "very accurate measurements using digital imaging"!:)

Dan </i>[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed it too. But there is something scarey about an arborist turning artiste'.

Next thing you know, euc men will be shaping trees into flamingos.

Oh, the humanity...

Bob Wulkowicz

I just cant help myself, here goes with a little humor.

You trim your mustache, your christmas tree.

You prune your trees and shrubs.

It is dirt under your fingernails. Soil is what plants grow in.

Frans: ':D'

Originally posted by Frans
I just cant help myself, here goes with a little humor.

You trim your mustache, your christmas tree.

You prune your trees and shrubs.

It is dirt under your fingernails. Soil is what plants grow in.

Frans: ':D'

<hr>

Ncely said. I should hire you as an editor and spare the world my sprawling bandwidth.

Bob

I did (believe it or not) think about the cost of a new yew that would be the same size as the existing. I don't think I have ever seen one in the nursery that size. I will concede that point, and not grudingly!

Truth be told, and I think we would all agree, ultimately it comes down to what the client is willing to pay for. I'll admit it: in a case like this, if I were called to the house to look at the yew, my first *thought* (I wouldn't speak it!) would be to cut EVERYTHING down and start over. But, I would also find out exactly what the customer had in mind for it, and then probably lay out all of the options that they had with the associated costs like we have done here. On a job like this, it is good to give the clients options; it adds value to what you are doing and it makes them feel part of the process.

I don't think you've sold me on the transplanting issue yet, but you have made me think about it a little more.:) I'll say it again- if it was anything other than a yew, I'd probably be all for it!

Dan

Originally posted by Dan F
I did (believe it or not) think about the cost of a new yew that would be the same size as the existing. I don't think I have ever seen one in the nursery that size. I will concede that point, and not grudingly!

Truth be told, and I think we would all agree, ultimately it comes down to what the client is willing to pay for. I'll admit it: in a case like this, if I were called to the house to look at the yew, my first *thought* (I wouldn't speak it!) would be to cut EVERYTHING down and start over. But, I would also find out exactly what the customer had in mind for it, and then probably lay out all of the options that they had with the associated costs like we have done here.

On a job like this, it is good to give the clients options; it adds value to what you are doing and it makes them feel part of the process.

I don't think you've sold me on the transplanting issue yet, but you have made me think about it a little more.:) I'll say it again- if it was anything other than a yew, I'd probably be all for it!

Dan

It's not the best example for me to push as a point. The trees and the house are somewhat unimaginative and crowded--with no disrespect to the owner.

Transplanting isn't as important to me as being able to have people feel comfortable in discussing options--just as you said. A customer defers to your judgement, and while you may lay out alternatives, many arborists don't, and that's a shame.

Chainsaws are the meat and potatos of this business, but they aren't the only item in the buffet. If there's a theme in my recent writing, it's about recognizing the presence of time--for the trees, for us, and for the future.

As I see it, we're really in the process of clear-cutting the urban forests. It's subtle and slow, but it is absolutely there. Trees can't keep up with our ideas that filling the box is the single proper measure of productivity.

Any new growth on a limb gets snipped off, and the lion's tailing gets higher and higher. When the mature ones finally give up and are taken down, there's going to be 3 guys crowded arount a poor 12' ginko trying to find something to cut.

It's<u> time</u> again. We're too fast and they're too slow. In an urban world filled with trees, it's easy not to notice, but we have to see it. We have to change and understand the need for alternatives.

Thanks for good responses and perhaps awakening others. That ought to be what happens here.

Bob Wulkowicz

Hey guys, I've been hanging around(yes on a rope) with my Venture Scouts in caves all weekend and am just now getting back to this thread.
First, I didn't mean the spelling of just the people in this thread. I have been following this site for a few months now(ever since I couldn't get on the ISA website:angry:), but have noticed a seeming disregard for even simple spelling at times(ex.did anyone ever figure out what wideopens' problem was?). Working at a university and taking classes at the same time, I've had the opportunity to react with many students and it seems that there has been a steadily decreasing apptitude for spelling. My feeling is that when two bids go to a client for the same job and one of them is full of spelling errors and one is not, which one reflects better on the professionalism of the company. The best way to get that attitude of professionalism is to start at the basics. If the foundation isn't there........
Second, providing there are no utilities, I think I could slip a Big John 80" in and move that thing out away from the house(sometimes I also like to stimulate thinking)>:)
Either way it still boils down to what the client wants versus what is feasibily and physically($$ and back) possible.

Back