Trimming topped trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miko0618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I got a call to do a trim. When i got there i saw the tree was previously topped. The sprouts on the lower limbs were reaching and covering part of his roof. It was also pretty muddy underneath from the tree blocking all the sun. Anyway, he wanted it retopped. I explained to him what the down sides were. I suggested we remove some of the lower limbs all together and thin out the sprouts. I know it looks a little rough now but i think the tree will fill out nicely. And if he allows me to come back every couple of years, i think i can get it to do well. Let me know what you guys think. And post up some of your results if you have some. I'd love to come up with more ideas as to how to handle these trees.
1078513c75e14f4813119f8d974ca480.jpg
a157b0c10c4372854f21d272a41e10d0.jpg

I had a similar situation last week with some previously topped cottonwoods. I should have gotten pics. I pretty much told the home owner that I would suggest only taking out dead wood and stubs. If I was feeling honest that day I would have just told him to not touch them for about 3 years. I am going to treat them with Cambistat after they leaf out and throw in a vertical mulching to help recover from a water line cutting out about 1/3 of the root zone.

Kudos on talking the owner out of retopping. I have actually walked away a couple times when I couldnt persuade the owner to not tomahawk them again.

I took more out of this one than i normally would. I was really trying to help the tree by satisfying the homeowner. I bet it was a perfect tree before it was topped.

From where I sit it looks
  1. aesthetically bit to thick on top
  2. keep laterals attached to your permanent branches at the 2/3's mark or only clean up the base 1/3 of each and every limb. looks better and helps to make the decisions and working the remainder of the tree easier
  3. space your laterals on the permanents approx 3 to 4 " for small growing trees and bit further apart for larger shade trees
  4. the bushy and heavy wood ends if possible I like to cut back to a horizontal when possible, can make the tree look more natural. Some bold cuts to make but you got to be cruel to be kind. Don't worry it will grow
  5. don't be afraid to drop crotch/remove similar to the above ie crowded, overlapping, limbs originating from the same horizontal or vertical plane. key is to open up and give things room to grow/ increase in diameter.
Find Harris Arboriculture Management of Trees and Woody Plants and go Training a Young Tree. Its the best guide for trees in this situation and the money and time spent on this chapter alone will keep you emplolyed and profitable plus confident in communicating and acting on the decisions to cut what, where, why and when.
Keep it up and good on ya for posting, that in itself shows a man on the right path.

Back