Trimming tops of Emerald Arborvitaes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suaf

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I had a guy come out today to look at my property. He HIGHLY recommended trimming about 8 inches off the top of my 5-6ft Emerald Green Arborvitaes. He said that because of their multiple stalks, they are very susceptible to snow load/ice breakage over the Winter. He says that by trimming off the tops, it promotoes growth of the stalks so that they become stronger and less resistant to breaking from snow and ice. However, these plants are not fast growers and I am concerned that trimming 8 inches will take a couple of years to gorw back. Will it really help strengthen the stalks that much or should juts leave them alone...please help as I have about 65 of these on my lot line. Thanks!

Thanks - that is what I have done in past is knock it off with hands or broom. So should I just leave them as is and continu that practice...or do I have him cut them in a peaked shape as you said about 8 inches down?
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back