Triple drop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Took down three trees yesterday. A healthy mid-size white pine, a large dying silver maple, and a dead cedar.

There were a few obstacles to work around - a garden shed, a little flower garden, a patio awning, and a house. Only the back shed was close enough to give me worry, but we roped the branch and my son pulled while I cut. Landed right where I wanted.

The pine was almost over an awning, but that came down without difficulty.

Cedar was leaning toward the fence, so I used my fancy new pole saw to cut a few limbs from that side to even out the balance, and dropped it beautifully. It was a gorgeous day for tree work.

Still have a tree to climb and trim out, but that shouldn't be too bad.

On to the pics!

IMG_1819.JPG

IMG_1820.JPG

About 30" across.
IMG_1821.JPG

Just missed the shed (and the Purple Martin house)
IMG_1822.JPG

Cedar with the fence on one side and the flower garden on the other.
IMG_1826.JPG

Hey, I finally did a cut well!
IMG_1828.JPG

Yes, I kept the cedar. Noodled up a bit last night. Need to keep the moths out of my pantry. Will try and sell some baggies of chips.

Attachments

• IMG_1817.JPG
    IMG_1817.JPG
    317.9 KB · Views: 17
Why do tree service people leave 1' long stubs sticking out from the main trunk all the time? Is it to piss off the property owner or the firewood cutter that comes along to clean up your mess? Why can't you make the cut next to the log so you can chip the whole limb and save everyone the extra work?
I've seen this numerous times and would like to know the reason.

Took down three trees yesterday. A healthy mid-size white pine, a large dying silver maple, and a dead cedar.

There were a few obstacles to work around - a garden shed, a little flower garden, a patio awning, and a house. Only the back shed was close enough to give me worry, but we roped the branch and my son pulled while I cut. Landed right where I wanted.

The pine was almost over an awning, but that came down without difficulty.

Cedar was leaning toward the fence, so I used my fancy new pole saw to cut a few limbs from that side to even out the balance, and dropped it beautifully. It was a gorgeous day for tree work.

Still have a tree to climb and trim out, but that shouldn't be too bad.

On to the pics!

View attachment 498268

Ummm...Unc, I think you might have nudged that shed just a wee tad.

Why do tree service people leave 1' long stubs sticking out from the main trunk all the time? Is it to piss off the property owner or the firewood cutter that comes along to clean up your mess? Why can't you make the cut next to the log so you can chip the whole limb and save everyone the extra work?
I've seen this numerous times and would like to know the reason.

Well, for myself, I used those as a ladder to climb up while I trimmed off the branches. I then topped it, and climbed back down, taking a few more chunks as I went until I could drop it without hitting anything. I didn't use any climbing gear, so I used the branches.

Anyone that gets their panties all in a knot over that really shouldn't be operating power equipment anyway. Those kind of people should get desk jobs and stay in the office.

Ummm...Unc, I think you might have nudged that shed just a wee tad.

That wasn't me - I had nothing to do with that. I wasn't even there. It was the neighbor. High winds. That was last Tuesday. I was at a funeral. The dog ate my homework. :rolleyes:

Tell me you were kidding about not using any climbing gear. I thought you retired from climbing.

Nope - the pine tree wasn't big - 40 feet or so, and white pines have the branches every couple feet. Easy climbing, and lots of nice grass to fall on.
And I retired from 'dangerous climbing.' If I can drop stuff without rigging it down and it's not dangerous (well, more dangerous than normal) than I'll climb it.

Cedar wood smells nice, but I hate the smell when it's burning. It's like snorting the contents of a pencil sharpener. Any cedar I come across is getting burned outside.

Nope - the pine tree wasn't big - 40 feet or so, and white pines have the branches every couple feet. Easy climbing, and lots of nice grass to fall on.
And I retired from 'dangerous climbing.' If I can drop stuff without rigging it down and it's not dangerous (well, more dangerous than normal) than I'll climb it.

Uncle- I'm not busting your balls but not putting on your saddle and having at least one point of attachment is simply being lazy. Ego can be a very dangerous thing.

Uncle- I'm not busting your balls but not putting on your saddle and having at least one point of attachment is simply being lazy. Ego can be a very dangerous thing.

Yeah, you're probably right. Always better safe than sorry, and the reason I stopped the dangerous ones was because they were dangerous. No need for me to make an easy one dangerous by my stupidity.

Back