trouble finding, identifying steel shanked boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plasmech

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've heard stories of climbers buying steel shanked boots at Wal Mart for example. I was there today, looked at all their boots, but could not tell if any had a steel shank. None of the boxes or tags were advertising it. Anybody know of a specific model that Wal Mart carries that have a high heel and a steel shank?

Also tried some real shoe stores, nobody knew what a steel shank was. I guess 17 year olds making $6.00/hour don't know that stuff, imagine that!

masiman

masiman

ArboristSite Guru

He means something along the lines of same stuff different day.

Most here agree that you need to follow the Blago strategy guide. You need to pay to play. All the information is in the posts here. When you go off topic or where the consensus says not to go, then you'll increase the chance of a screw up.

Get the recommended equipment. Search on whatever thing you are looking for and get something that the experienced folks post good things about. If you are not sure what to get still, call Baileys, Sherrill, Wesspur et. al. and let them tell you what is popular. If you were into skiing I'd say ""Go that way, reeeel fast, if something gets in your way, turn" to quote a very funny movie.

You will survive by the grace of god no doubt. And in another few years, you'll probably be one of the biggest tools on here, which will delight many to no end with the irony :buttkick: .

Just go do something in the tree. Make sure you video it for posterity.

Plasmech

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite

Most here agree that you need to follow the Blago strategy guide. You need to pay to play. All the information is in the posts here. When you go off topic or where the consensus says not to go, then you'll increase the chance of a screw up.

Get the recommended equipment. Search on whatever thing you are looking for and get something that the experienced folks post good things about. If you are not sure what to get still, call Baileys, Sherrill, Wesspur et. al. and let them tell you what is popular. If you were into skiing I'd say ""Go that way, reeeel fast, if something gets in your way, turn" to quote a very funny movie.

You will survive by the grace of god no doubt. And in another few years, you'll probably be one of the biggest tools on here, which will delight many to no end with the irony :buttkick: .

You do realize that you will never get the time back that you spent typing that completely un-called-for reply, right? It was like spam.

The Wal Mart boots were recommended to me by PineMartin, a very respected member. I sure respect him, he's a class act.

treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak

:clap: Blago stratagy? I always liked you man, great speech.

Nailsbeats

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
You do realize that you will never get the time back that you spent typing that completely un-called-for reply, right? It was like spam.

The Wal Mart boots were recommended to me by PineMartin, a very respected member. I sure respect him, he's a class act.

You were given good advice there, no need to be a dink about it. Have some respect.

Last edited:
woodchux

woodchux

Addicted to ArboristSite
Rftreeman

Rftreeman

Addicted to ArboristSite
you are not going to find what you need at wal-mart and anybody that send you there looking has no clue I don't care what you were told nor will you get a set of decent climbing boots for less than $85 to $100 I just paid $145 for my last pair and they aren't even top of the line, some people have paid as much as $300........

Last edited:
BC WetCoast

BC WetCoast

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
you are not going to find what you need at wal-mart and anybody that send you there looking has no clue I don't care what you were told nor will you get a set of decent climbing boots for less than $85 to $100 I just paid $145 for my last pair and they aren't even top of the line, some people have paid as much as $300........

Try $500 for custom made vibergs.

squad143

squad143

Tree Guy
I spend quite a bit of time in trees and use work boots with steel shank and steel toes. In Canada any boots with a green triangle label on them have a steel shank and toe.

For other label markings go to this site:
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/prevention/ppe/footwear.html

Not sure of what you have in the U.S.

This year I may spend the $$ and buy a pair of "climbing" boots but I'm reluctant to buy something like that on line. I prefer to try on footwear before buying.

(WLL)

(WLL)

Addicted to ArboristSite
I did not know that walmart started carrying professional arborist tools and gear. I will have to go check them out. :spam:
WHADAUMEAN!!!!:stupid: they carry a full line of tree stands, miles of rope,and boots that will go up too ya neck!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Plasmech

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
I did not know that walmart started carrying professional arborist tools and gear. I will have to go check them out. :spam:

Once again, the Wal Mart boots were recommended to me by a highly respected pro from THIS forum. Do you understand that? THIS forum. GROW UP. You sound like anything BUT a pro.

Plasmech

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
I spend quite a bit of time in trees and use work boots with steel shank and steel toes. In Canada any boots with a green triangle label on them have a steel shank and toe.

For other label markings go to this site:
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/prevention/ppe/footwear.html

Not sure of what you have in the U.S.

This year I may spend the $$ and buy a pair of "climbing" boots but I'm reluctant to buy something like that on line. I prefer to try on footwear before buying.

Thanks man, appreciate that info. :cheers:

Rftreeman

Rftreeman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Once again, the Wal Mart boots were recommended to me by a highly respected pro from THIS forum. Do you understand that? THIS forum. GROW UP. You sound like anything BUT a pro.
ain't really none of my business and don't really care but who is this "highly respected PRO" that you speak of here because walmart boots are not for climbing, you need a good set of boots, any boot with a heal will work but your feet will be killing you at the end of the day, if a "pro" recommends walmart boots then he has never spent good money on a good set of climbing boots built for the trade.

(WLL)

(WLL)

Addicted to ArboristSite
plasmech,please expose this so called pro!! im climbing in these
attachment.php

Last edited:
treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
plasmech,please expose this so called pro!! im climbing in these
attachment.php

I was going to ask this thread be shut down cause I can't take reading the title anymore but now I see there may be one reason to leave it open.
I am still trying to figure out what he meant by well respected. oh well, you know, I think I will get some more new boots. Those orange and black ones any good?

Latest posts