trouble with baileys ripping chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty12

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have written in the past with some trouble keeping my chains sharp. I am finding once again that I cant seem to get the hang of getting consistancy.

I am using an Oregon sharpener. (clamps on to bar and file clamps on to device. sold at Lowes...)

On the baileys ripping chain I understand that you set the top angle at 10 deg. and the raker depth is supposed to be .035.

The only thing I know am doing wrong here is that I could only find a .030 depth guage.

Seems that I am getting marginal results at best. I'm pretty sure I have the correct file size (7/32).

What I dont know is at what measurement to set the other angle at. Not sure what this is called but it is the one that adjusts the file angle in relationship through a horizontal plane. It is currently set at 5 deg. This is also the middle adjustment knob.

these chains cut great when I first got them. Big diff. in cutting speeds...much slower now.

I would appreciate any advice or references anyone can come up with.

Smitty

Back