Trouble with chipper engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skywalker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
we have a Woodchuck wc12 with an80 horse ford deisel on her

running it the other day

the thing just stopped, put out a little cloud of smoke

like you turned it off

I dont think its getting fuel

changed all filters

anyone have this problem

thanks a lot

I'm not familiar with the machine or the engine but with a diesel you don't have and ignition system to contend with so the logical place to start is to determine if there is power to the fuel solenoid. First check any and all fuses and then check the wiring from the ignition to the fuel solenoid. If you put your hand on the solenoid you should be able to hear of feel it open when the ignition is on. If you don't then look for loose or broken wires. You may be able to verify that the solenoid is OK by running a temp jumper wire from the solenoid to the battery. If that don't work then it's summin else and I can't help you.
Phil

Are you sure someone didnt put gas in it? A few years ago we were headed to a job in a bucket truck and the chip truck and chipper went by the gas staion to fill up. The guy accidently put gas in a diesel chipper. It did the same thing you described. Unless you filled it up yourself, open the tank and take a whiff.

I'm not familiar with the machine or the engine but with a diesel you don't have and ignition system to contend with so the logical place to start is to determine if there is power to the fuel solenoid. First check any and all fuses and then check the wiring from the ignition to the fuel solenoid. If you put your hand on the solenoid you should be able to hear of feel it open when the ignition is on. If you don't then look for loose or broken wires. You may be able to verify that the solenoid is OK by running a temp jumper wire from the solenoid to the battery. If that don't work then it's summin else and I can't help you.
Phil
+1 I've seen this several times. It is the price of the convenience of a diesel turning of with the switch.
Check the other things listed.
Then crack an injector and see if there is fuel to the injector. I have had fuel pump drive failures do the same thing.
Sometimes the fuel solenoid works erratically instead of going completely bad all at once.
I'm assuming you did prime the injectors after changing the filters? If the pump system or fuel shut off is bad you you wont be able to prime the system.
The most logical reason for a diesel to shut of suddenly and quietly is going to be lack of fuel.

engine

Sky. I work for Ford and with the right information on ur part i can walk u through diagnosing the problem. By the way u described it u def lost fuel or air very suddenly. With the way a deisel operates its funny that it just plain shut off. U have already recieved some good advice on possible problems. If u still have trouble let me know and ill do what i can to help. Good luck

Been thinking about it,(kinda dangerous for me to do sometimes). The only other thing that I can think of is a broken cam. I have only seen it once and that was becouse a very small bolt viberated out of the front of the motor and got between the crank gear and the cam gear. The cam being the smaller of the two broke.

engine

I agree joe. It sounds very much like a mechanical failure. If it was fuel or air it would have stumbled before it knocked off. But for the engine to just stop something drastic is likely to have happened. But i have seen stranger things happen. Anyway Sky let us know whats up.

Great point treeco. I often get ahead of myself. Its always good to check the simple but sometimes not so obvious things. They as well may be the cheepest repairs

Latest posts

Back