Troy-Bilt 27-Ton 160cc Log Splitter from Lowes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess if I had bought a TB splitter, I'd defend them too, when I decided to buy a splitter I looked at them all, and knew the TB was a poor design at best.

You just can't weld something to the side of the cylinder and expect it to hold up.
Have you ever seen any other hydraulic cylinder used on any other piece of equipment set up this way? There's a reason.

Hardly defending them. Jusst stating the obvious - to call a design "junk" after a problem has been fixed is not only unfair it is downright WRONG! From reading this thread it appears that only 3 instances of the problem have appeared and have been addressed. That the OP is in a snit because he can't get a free cylinder seems to be problem.

Harry K

If a part wears out from wear and tear I can seen the manufacture not wanting to replace the part if the unit is out of warranty, but this part is faulty workmanship, and TB should step up to the plate and do the right thing.

Hardly defending them. Jusst stating the obvious - to call a design "junk" after a problem has been fixed is not only unfair it is downright WRONG! From reading this thread it appears that only 3 instances of the problem have appeared and have been addressed. That the OP is in a snit because he can't get a free cylinder seems to be problem.

Harry K

You own one so you have the right to defend them but still don't see how you feel I'm calling yours junk. You must have serious issues to protect them this much and don't even take into consideration that this is a serious faulty manufacturing problem that can cause serious injury. You can defend them all you want but that will not stop this faulty cylinder from doing whatever to whomever is around it. So if you don't care if anyone gets hurt go ahead and say what you want and hope I don't get to read about yours in the same situation in the near future.

Are you just saying to yourself this has been 'fixed' to make yourself feel better that you have extra weld on yours and you don't want it to happen to you? If that makes you feel better, than it has been 'fixed' as you say and you are lucky enough to own the new reliable version that will never blow up and throw oil everywhere.

You say there are only 3 instances that have been address and I have to reread this post to see who has been taken care of because I only read about one that is being taken care of.

So go ahead and bash me all you want as it will not make this problemed design go away. And I say it's a problemed design because the cylinder is still not worthy of a trunion mount.

You want to protect TB and not the people who own this design, this can't be right. Why would you choose TB over the safety of the people using these?

I agree with that. In fact I am surprised that they didn't

Harry K

I'm not. MTD is NOT known for standing behind their products. They're into the "build it cheap and sell a lot of them" business model. Customer service is NOT their priority.

If there were a way to prove it one way or another, I'd bet a pretty big pile of money that once these blowing cylinders were made known to the executives of MTD, there was a serious discussion about whether it was cheaper to leave it alone and just pay off the people who got hurt, or to re-design it.

Here you agree it's faulty. I don't get it. Are you just busting b4lls?

You keep avoiding my point. Your own posts show that the problem has been addressed. Whether you or some else did or did not get a replacement for the cylinder has nothign to do with the design.

Did I _ever_ say those cylinders were _not_ faulty?

Would I have designed one that way? No I would not seeing as there are trunion mount cylinders on the market. They must have gone with that design due to a cost consideration.

Is the TB a cadillac of a splitter? Not even close.

Is the TB a Model T of a splitter? Also not even close.

You have shifted from the 'tear out' problem (apparently on only 3 (thus far) of all that have been built) to now claiming the weld will cause seal problems and using that to still keeps calling the TB a piece of junk. Too bad you have zero evidence of the seal problem.

Somewhere way back up thread apparently TB said they subcontract the cylinders. The faulty ones appear (note that is my OPINION) that it is a quality control problem and not one of design.

You seem to be riding a hobby horse really hard.

Harry K

Troy 27 ton

My son got one of these a few days ago,yesterday he ran it for about (6)hrs.
did not miss a lick the only down side is no 4way splitter,we found a 4way
splitter for a 32ton that slips right over the original that is on spearco site.

splitter for a 32ton that slips right over the original that is on spearco site.

Now all you need is a Speeco to slip under that 4-way and you'll have yourself a great setup! :clap:

:greenchainsaw:

You keep avoiding my point. Your own posts show that the problem has been addressed. Whether you or some else did or did not get a replacement for the cylinder has nothign to do with the design.

Did I _ever_ say those cylinders were _not_ faulty?

Would I have designed one that way? No I would not seeing as there are trunion mount cylinders on the market. They must have gone with that design due to a cost consideration.

Is the TB a cadillac of a splitter? Not even close.

Is the TB a Model T of a splitter? Also not even close.

You have shifted from the 'tear out' problem (apparently on only 3 (thus far) of all that have been built) to now claiming the weld will cause seal problems and using that to still keeps calling the TB a piece of junk. Too bad you have zero evidence of the seal problem.

Somewhere way back up thread apparently TB said they subcontract the cylinders. The faulty ones appear (note that is my OPINION) that it is a quality control problem and not one of design.

You seem to be riding a hobby horse really hard.

Harry K

OK, so now you are saying they have a 'crap' design and not 'junk'.

You can call it a crap design for now, since yours is fairly new design and did not blow up on you. And I'll call it 'junk', as you say, since mine blew up on me.

The complete design is faulty because they should have used a full I beam to mount this same cylinder on the end instead of trunion or they should use a properly built trunion mount cylinder.

Again, if you trust this splitter without worrying that it will blow then have your young kids, that want to run the lever, run it once in a while for the years to come. Split wood that needs 27 tons of force and you'll know the type of wood that needs it when it takes a few secs to build up enough pressure for ram to push into it, don't just split soft pine. As a kid I would love to pull the lever and watch the wood split so it's fun for them.

What difference does it make if I want to write about this problem to keep people alert while using it? Your bashing me because I wrote about this problem and you don't want to read about it because you own one. Again I don't get why you don't want this safety precaution info. to be spread. Defending TB is not going to stop yours from blowing if it had to. And if yours does blow you can go about a fix the way that makes you happy.

I never said that it's causing seal problems, your saying it, I have read about welding cylinders and what it MAY do to the cylinder wall. I have read about welding them because mine is apart and waiting for a sleeve to be manufactured to cover the whole trunion area and I have been told that welding the cylinder may cause it to go out of round and may cause seal problems. Because TB spread more weld over the cylinder wall it has created more heat to the cylinder and it may cause seal problems if cylinder becomes distorted.

Do you work for TB or have friend or family member who does?

Last edited:

Although it would be nice to run a 4 way and 27 tons should definately have no problem pushing one there is a reason a 4 way is not made factory for this design. You can make one to fit but I wouldn't advertise it with pics as TB may use it against you one day.

I have seen a couple different homemade ones here that came out pretty nice. If I get my cylinder welded up with the double wall at the trunion I might as well put one together at the same time. It will save time when you have rounds that need double splitting.

Or you can take it back and put a speeco under it:D

OK, so now you are saying they have a 'crap' design and not 'junk'.

You can call it a crap design for now, since yours is fairly new design and did not blow up on you. And I'll call it 'junk', as you say, since mine blew up on me.

The complete design is faulty because they should have used a full I beam to mount this same cylinder on the end instead of trunion or they should use a properly built trunion mount cylinder.

Again, if you trust this splitter without worrying that it will blow then have your young kids, that want to run the lever, run it once in a while for the years to come. Split wood that needs 27 tons of force and you'll know the type of wood that needs it when it takes a few secs to build up enough pressure for ram to push into it, don't just split soft pine. As a kid I would love to pull the lever and watch the wood split so it's fun for them.

What difference does it make if I want to write about this problem to keep people alert while using it? Your bashing me because I wrote about this problem and you don't want to read about it because you own one. Again I don't get why you don't want this safety precaution info. to be spread. Defending TB is not going to stop yours from blowing if it had to. And if yours does blow you can go about a fix the way that makes you happy.

I never said that it's causing seal problems, your saying it, I have read about welding cylinders and what it MAY do to the cylinder wall. I have read about welding them because mine is apart and waiting for a sleeve to be manufactured to cover the whole trunion area and I have been told that welding the cylinder may cause it to go out of round and may cause seal problems. Because TB spread more weld over the cylinder wall it has created more heat to the cylinder and it may cause seal problems if cylinder becomes distorted.

Do you work for TB or have friend or family member who does?

Chill a bit there and quit reading stuff in that I didn't say. Nowhere did I even come close to clling it a "crap design".

You persist in missing my point. You made _you_ point way back up thread pointing otu a problem, dangerous at that, with a component. That wasn't good enough though. You call the entire machine "junk". Then even that wasn't good enough, you sstill call it "junk" even after the problem has been addressed. I wonder what the companies lawyers would say about someone persisting in a defamation campaign.

I can see there is no getting a reasonable discussion with you so good-bye.

Harry K

Now all you need is a Speeco to slip under that 4-way and you'll have yourself a great setup! :clap:

:greenchainsaw:

Mark, I have to admit that was a good one. :laugh:
I have nothing against the Speeco they are darn good splitters as well.

Take care Harry, it was a pleasure talking with you.

I can now stop taking my ulser medicine and I can put the bottle away, till the weekend at least. I knew I shouldn't have been doing both and reading.

Wow, 2 weeks and 40 cords. Someone keeps busy splitting. I ran probably 40-50 cords through mine but it took me about 6 years to do that much. Almost finished splitting the last cord for this year and mine took a dump

Glad to hear your getting yours taken care of. I almost considered the harbor freight splitter before I bought this one and I didn't because I was almost sure it was all China made parts, but I probably would still be splitting with it today though if I would have just ordered one. It would have been 400 bucks less too for the 30 ton. I guess I wanted to keep the money flowing here but got the short straw for doing it.

Have been busy spliting! One guy 8 hours x 6 days / week. He needs the work and is trying to impress. Will have to give him a big Christmas bonus!! Having said that, we managed to bend the entire main beam on the splitter. Told Northern of the problem, and they shipped out a brand new revised beam. Spent most of last Sunday replacing parts and 'tweaking' the splitter, but now she runs GOOOOOOOD!!!:blob2:

Have been busy spliting! One guy 8 hours x 6 days / week. He needs the work and is trying to impress. Will have to give him a big Christmas bonus!! Having said that, we managed to bend the entire main beam on the splitter. Told Northern of the problem, and they shipped out a brand new revised beam. Spent most of last Sunday replacing parts and 'tweaking' the splitter, but now she runs GOOOOOOOD!!!:blob2:

Can't argue with that kind of service! :cheers:

What did the bending?

Can't argue with that kind of service! :cheers:

What did the bending?

The cause seems to be the cylinder rod center-line is not the same as the four-way wedge wings, hence putting a cantilever force on the the wedge assy onto the beam. Told that to a rep @ Northern, got a deer-in-the -headlights response over the phone. He said he had never heard that! I suggested he go out in the warehouse and look for himself. The c/l is off by about 1.5". The splitter is rated @ 37 tons. Thats a lot of force when you max it out on eucalyptus or other really tough wood.. probably never be an issue with easier-to-split species.:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back