Troy-Bilt 27-Ton 160cc Log Splitter from Lowes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobspruce

Reaction score
Can someone give me a review on this Log splitter from Lowes? Thanks so much. Bob

http://www.lowes.com/pd_116418-270-24BF572B711_0_?productId=1005417&Ntt=log+splitter&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=log%20splitter$y=0$x=0#

I bought one last week. I've split about 4 cords of pine with it, and it works great as far as I'm concerned, but I've always split my wood by hand up until now.

Have used mine for over a year now. Only a few complaints. The log cradle is poorly designed and the fuel tank is miniscule. I've split Elm and through knots/crotches of Black Locust.

It is rebadged with several names. White is one. Dunno who is the manufacturer.

Harry K

How do they compare in price to the huskee 22 ton ?? Seems like the manufacture of the huskee - speeco is taking care of any issues on here which means alot , wonder where lowes will send you ?

They're $1299 (here anyhow).
2 year warranty. The guy at Lowes told me to bring it back to the store if I had any issues.

The Huskee 22 ton is only $999, $300 cheaper. Given not only the service, but the rave reviews of the Huskee in many threads, there should be no question. I have not been able to find one sincere complaint about Huskee. Common comments are "best bang for the buck."

Its a good splitter. I have used mine for 3 years with no problem.
The only thing I have done is added a large plate over the log cradle and that does make a difference. Otherwise a very nice good running machine.

I've had mine 2 years now and only complaint is the poorly designed log cradle. Honda engine starts first pull.

There is a tread on the ********** right now about bad welds. It is probably an isolated incident, but he states that troybuilt is blowing him off.

I have an older retired friend selling firewood near the campgrounds around us and he has used the same troybuilt for many years and is quite happy with it.
He is small time I'm guessing less than 20 cords a year, He offers way better deals than the bundles sold at the campgrounds or local party stores and sells out quite often. Anyway that troybuilt splitter has treated him well.

How do they compare in price to the huskee 22 ton ?? Seems like the manufacture of the huskee - speeco is taking care of any issues on here which means alot , wonder where lowes will send you ?

The Huskee 22 ton is only $999, $300 cheaper. Given not only the service, but the rave reviews of the Huskee in many threads, there should be no question. I have not been able to find one sincere complaint about Huskee. Common comments are "best bang for the buck."

There is NO comparison on quality! The Speeco is a far better machine!

Just take a look at the log guard. It's stamped sheet metal on the MTD/Troy, thick welded plate on the Speeco.

There's no comparison!

i have had mine for about 5 years now and have had no problems with it. it gets used by my family and has been loaned out several times. the only minor complaint i have is the small log cradle and slower cycle times. minor issues really because it always starts right up and i have never stalled it in knots. it will start shearing the wood before it stops.

i bought it before i knew of this place and the reputation of speedco so it was price for me because at the time they were both equivalent.

Mine has been great. This will be my 3rd year splitting with it. Elm,Oak,Locust not a problem. The only thing I can recommend is see if there is a Cub Cadet/Troy bilt dealer in your area and buy from them. If you have any issues with it I would assume you will have better luck than one of the big box stores.

Hey Bob

How much wood are you splitting a year?

If it's 5 cord and under you'll probably do OK. Over that you may want to consider a heavier duty unit.

Also, based upon the numerous horror stories posted here about splitters from Big Box stores, and the issues when something goes kaboing, be sure you know up front who does the warranty repair on these units for Lowes and where are they located.

Take Care

One of my reasons for buying the Troy was the fact that there just aren't many dealers selling anything else around here. It's 50 miles round trip just to the Lowes. The Husqvarna/ Stihl dealer doesn't handle any splitters.

One of my reasons for buying the Troy was the fact that there just aren't many dealers selling anything else around here. It's 50 miles round trip just to the Lowes. The Husqvarna/ Stihl dealer doesn't handle any splitters.

That sounds like a pretty good reason!

I'm another one with the HUSKEE 22 ton machine and I LOVE the log cradle on this thing! 6 cords through it so far and zero issues or complaints on how it was built. Works great horizontal or vertical. After using it almost a month now I'm glad I didn't get the one at Lowes even though it has a higher tonage rating.

I'm another one with the HUSKEE 22 ton machine and I LOVE the log cradle on this thing! .

Yeah, I can't see that "flat beam" approach that other splitters have. I can toss a round on there and get my hands out of the way - don't have to hold it in place.

I made a 110 mile round-trip to pick mine up at Lowes only to find when I got home that one of the air filter cover clips was broken. Called them and they put together another one and sent it down on their truck the next day. No quibbles.

That, BTW, is another problem with the troybilt. The motor hangs out there and that air cover will get wiped off going through gates or near wood piles. Seems it is the first thing that will catch on anything.

Harry K

Back