Truck ratings...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTH

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings :p

I've been lurking here for quite a while now and enjoy the rantings and goings on here. We'll, I didn't enjoy the SG accident (pics included) but it did SLAM the safety issue fair in the face. Not just for stump grinders but all the other tools we use.

One tool most of us can't do with out is a truck, little or big.

My limited knowledge needs some education in this field, I hope I get some help here.

TARE = Actual Weight of Truck

GVM = TARE + its-loading-carrying-capacity
Gross Vehicle Mass

GCM = GVM + towing-capacity?
Gross Combined Mass

How'm I doin' here? :dizzy:

If I see an Ad for a truck with a GVM of 10500kg, I would need to know its TARE to find out its Load Carrying Capacity.... Y/N?

Thank for your patience. :umpkin:

John The Handyman (JTH)

It should be GVW not GVM. GVW means Gross Vehicle Weight. Same as GVWR, Gross Vehicle Weight Restriction. GCW or GCWR means the same, Gross Combined Weight Restriction, or total weight of vehicle (including payload) and what it is towing. You got Tare right. So if a truck is advertised at 10500kg and its tare weight is 5000kg, it can carry 5500kg. If it is just a cab and chassis, you need to also add the weight of whatever body you are going to put on to determine what its true payload capacity would be.

Thanks so far.

While I was incorrect of some of the abbreviations, most of what I said is correct in Australia.

I'll have to remember the extra weight when "quizzing" a cab chassis. Good point.

John (JTH)

Latest posts

Back