True tragedy šŸ„¹

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew15

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So i a week ago i felled some trees,limbed and bucked them thinking everything was fine,sure i hit the dirt a few times but a thought that would be solved if i just sharpen the chain.Butā€¦as i sit down to start the sharpening procees i realizedā€¦that 7 out of the 27 cutters are missing a half.Is it even worth sharpening it or should i just buy a new?image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I'd keep it as a stump chain... you really need to be more careful with hitting the dirt, as you're finding out, it gets expensive quick. You should have noticed the chain get dull after the first hit, and stopped to freshen it up/ take a look over it/ swap it out.

Cranky comment, for which I can be attacked as much as those on this forum please, but I have a "friend" with whom I have chatted a bit, but a guy who I can't talk out of "pushing the living **** out of his saws chains and bars." Something deep in his brain stem persuades him that the harder he "pushes" on the saw the more cutting he gets done. (Yes, saws have dogs / teeth and we all often "roll" the cut on them - but this guy is different...) As a consequence this guy gets a few cuts with a new chain, bar cleaned up for him, etc. but then he is working with a spinning mess.
I don't carry a metal detector around with me, and I cut into trees with some frequency that have old staples and wire and nails, etc. in them. I work beside old stone walls that have done some falling apart, typically covered with a lot of nasty spiky briar, etc. and I "touch a rock" from time to time. I get the privilege of using chain sharpeners in a distinct relationship to working with saws.
My chains don't look like yours. But my "friend's" do. When my saw gets into non-wood objects/conditions, I swap out the chain. He doesn't. And I think he just pushes harder.

Cranky comment, for which I can be attacked as much as those on this forum please, but I have a "friend" with whom I have chatted a bit, but a guy who I can't talk out of "pushing the living **** out of his saws chains and bars." Something deep in his brain stem persuades him that the harder he "pushes" on the saw the more cutting he gets done. (Yes, saws have dogs / teeth and we all often "roll" the cut on them - but this guy is different...) As a consequence this guy gets a few cuts with a new chain, bar cleaned up for him, etc. but then he is working with a spinning mess.
I don't carry a metal detector around with me, and I cut into trees with some frequency that have old staples and wire and nails, etc. in them. I work beside old stone walls that have done some falling apart, typically covered with a lot of nasty spiky briar, etc. and I "touch a rock" from time to time. I get the privilege of using chain sharpeners in a distinct relationship to working with saws.
My chains don't look like yours. But my "friend's" do. When my saw gets into non-wood objects/conditions, I swap out the chain. He doesn't. And I think he just pushes harder.
Sounds like you work with an idiot...

Yuh. I said "friend with whom I have chatted a bit..." Frankly, if he worked "with" me or -- especially -- "for" me, he would either have to get it reasonably right, or go away. (I consider the saw "pushing" thing, among other wrongs, dangerous.)

Stop nailing the earth, plain and simple. If you gotta kneel down to prevent it, by all means do so. A little technique goes a long way, because chains get expensive. Good rule of thumb is if you feel it bounce/ pull oddly take a minute to back out and inspect the kerf and chain. Saves me every time. As you get to the end of a cut you oughta be tickling the throttle not leaning into it and powering through.

"Sure I hit the dirt a few times" is a very telling statement. This makes it sound as if you think it is just a normal part of cutting, and it just isn't. Hitting the dirt is a choice, and always preventable. Roll your logs, reposition your cuts. I'm not sure who if anyone trained you, but it worries me that you find that acceptable, and makes me wonder what other bad and dangerous habits they may have taught you.

Unfortunately, the internet age has made everyone think a couple forum questions and watching some YouTube videos can teach someone anything. Learning how to properly and safely use and maintain a saw is still something that has to be taught in person... it's not like changing the alternator on a Honda civic...

I hit dirt sometimes. Sometimes the dirt is in the trees, bark, etc.

I try to avoid it, along with nails, fence wire, concrete plugs, etc.

But if I hit it, I try to get the chain cutting again.

Philbert
No, I know you, you hit dirt sometimes, but you don't hit the dirt. You're careful with your cuts.

Back