Trunk Injection Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diyguy

Reaction score
I have a back yard full of ash trees that Ive been treating for EAB. Ive been soil drenching with imidacloprid and Ive been thinking about trunk injection. Directions go along the lines of drilling several 11/64 or 9/32 dia holes (odd sizes, I assume to accomodate the injection hardware...) and injecting the insecticide, then leaving the "plug?" in the hole to help seal up the "wound". I presume that next time you treat you drill new holes and do the same thing.

Is there a practice/system where the holes are drilled, then a permanent pipe is inserted into the tree? Insectides, fungicides or other cides could be injected through this "tap" then a cap could be threaded over the end? Im picturing a short pipe nipple with threads on each side being permanently embedded in the tree, with a pipe threaded cap sealing it up. Does this stuff exist? Bad idea? This way I wouldnt have to drill holes in the trees year after year, and it seems like a much more efficient way of treating the trees that the soil drench...

Meant to post this in the homeowners section, will repost there.

Last edited:
I have a yard full of ash trees that Ive been treating for EAB. Ive been soil drenching with imidacloprid and Ive been thinking about trunk injection. Directions go along the lines of drilling several 11/64 or 9/32 dia holes (odd sizes, I assume to accomodate the injection hardware...) and injecting the insecticide, then leaving the "plug?" in the hole to help seal up the "wound". I presume that next time you treat you drill new holes and do the same thing.

Is there a practice/system where the holes are drilled, then a permanent pipe is inserted into the tree? Insectides, fungicides or other cides could be injected through this "tap" then a cap could be threaded over the end? Im picturing a short pipe nipple with threads on each side being permanently embedded in the tree, with a pipe threaded cap sealing it up. Does this stuff exist? Bad idea? This way I wouldnt have to drill holes in the trees year after year, and it seems like a much more efficient way of treating the trees that the soil drench...

Seems ur getting too happy with the chems, slow down. To much chemicals going in the ground over EAB. Go to the USDA site to get the good info.
No permanent taps, unless you are tryin got make syrup!

You can't use a permanant tap because the tree compartmentalizes those injuries.

What are you planing to inject? If it is imidacloprid, there is no advantage of trunk injection over soil treatment. If Tree-AGE, you need to be a licensed applicator for that.

You can't use a permanant tap because the tree compartmentalizes those injuries.

What are you planing to inject? If it is imidacloprid, there is no advantage of trunk injection over soil treatment. If Tree-AGE, you need to be a licensed applicator for that.

I'd planned to inject imidacloprid. I didnt realize there was no advantage over soil drench, the trunk injection seemed to be a more efficient way to get the product into the trees.

Thanks for the info!

I'd planned to inject imidacloprid......
It does get into the tree a little more quickly when you inject, but it is not more effective at killing EAB.

Make sure you pay attention to maximum amount of chemical per acre. You said you have a back yard full...I think you can treat 6-8 trees if they average around 16"... if you are using the maximum labeled rate. But don't take those numbers from me, check the label. Even if you can treat them all, I'd recommend deciding which ones you would miss the most and stick with those.

Latest posts

Back