Try again - New Here - 371 XP Ignition.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithbo

Reaction score
371 xp ignition

I am new here and looked for an answer, but was not able to find one using the search.

I have a problem with my 1998 371 XP. I was cutting with it and it quit running in the middle of a cut. I check gas. Not empty. I check the switch. No problem there. I pull the plug and look for spark. No spark. (I didn't stick my finger in to check spark having done so accidentally before. I put gas into the carb just to double check line etc. Not even a sputter. I think that the coil/ignition module is bad. So my questions are:
1: Should I be able to see the spark?
2: If the ignition module is bad will other modules from other saws fit? I looked at ebay ads and they list a lot of saws using a single non rev limited module. There are also some take off 346 and 340 345 350 353 OEM rev limited modules. (with different part numbers) Do the ignition coils/modules interchange? They look very similar. (I prefer a rev limited because sometimes others use the saw.) Thanks for the help.

Yes you should be able to see the spark,pull the spark plug,put a screw driver in the rubber boot,ground the screwdriver blade to the metal cylinder head,make sure the switch is ON,pull the recoil,you should see the spark jump from the screwdriver to the cylinder.If you do not get spark,you need to disconnect the on/off switch,they go bad quite often,and repeat the test.If you get spark,replace the spark plug and try starting it.Other members will be along to tell you about coil cross reference.If you need the coil,sponsors like Chainsawr have them.

I prefer to use the spark plug and ground it to the cylinder, should be able to see a spark. Also check your kill switch/kill switch wire, if its grounding to the saw you will have know spark.

I ohmed the switch and it checks out. Just to be sure I unhooked it and still no run.
I pulled the plug and set it on the cylinder and I cant see a spark. The reason I asked about seeing the spark is I have a maytag engine and I can't see the spark but it still runs. Go figure.
Thanks for the replies.

Your 371 will not have a rev limited coil in it unless it has been changed, is your current coil black or blue?
If it is black the coil from any 300 series saw will work, you may need to swap the plug wire if the replacement coil has the short lead.

Disconnect your stop switch/coil wire at the coil, double your existing plug gap, strap your saw down with out the bar and chain, make sure you have a good ground then test for spark.

I ohmed the switch and it checks out. Just to be sure I unhooked it and still no run.
I pulled the plug and set it on the cylinder and I cant see a spark. The reason I asked about seeing the spark is I have a maytag engine and I can't see the spark but it still runs. Go figure.
Thanks for the replies.

You need to try a know working plug also, sometimes plugs go bad...

Thanks for the help. I tried a new plug and that didn't help. Nothing gets me any fire.

My coil is black. Thanks for the coil info.I ordered a new one. I need to get cutting again. :)

Latest posts

Back