trying a new spot for my pulley

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldirty

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i have been trying to better my footlocking skills the past couple days and wasnt liking where the pulley was attached to gather up the rope(it was on the biner). it seemed too far away and was a pain to mind the rope.

i moved the pulley to the splittail itself. i pushed a loop through the swivel part of the snap and ran the rest of the tail through that loop and tightened.

this brought the pulley to just outside of fistlength of the blakes i run. to me this seemed brillaint because of the less slack i have to mind to get my hitch where i want it when i need a break.

my question now is 2 part. 1. is it safe there? have i compromised the tensile strength of my splittail by "knotting" it in the middle of it.
and 2. do i even need to do that to get better control of the hitch when acsending?

i ask those with the knowledge to help me out. thanks fellas.

oldirty

Last edited:
Have done something similar myself. I climbed with a figure 8 in my splittail (a leftover safety feature from my rope-tail and tautline days that just became habit because i use it to tell where to start my friction hitch.) Anyways, started just tying my dog snap right into the figure 8 then hanging my pulley off it-like you said works much better and gets it closer to your hitch. Climbed like that for a couple years with no problem. Recently switched to a martin and had the same problem-finally got someone to splice some split tails that are just long enough to tie my hitch and leaves just an inch or two between the hitch and the pulley.

pulley

try a small chunk of throw line, rig up a small prussik loop put a mini biner in with your pulley, and attach it to your tru blu, snug it up to your knot and you will elimnate the play, as you pull or fl your knot will tend as you ascend j

i'll footlock that double after you show me donnyo.

the way i learn i gotta see it or touch it to figure it out.

show me mang.

and safeT i just pushed a loop through the swivel part of the snap. call it what you want, the terminology escapes me as we speak.

oldirty

i'll footlock that double after you show me donnyo.

the way i learn i gotta see it or touch it to figure it out.

show me mang.

and safeT i just pushed a loop through the swivel part of the snap. call it what you want, the terminology escapes me as we speak.

oldirty

I'll see you in Manchester. You might learn so much your head will explode..........

Back