TSC ( Speeco, aka Husky) 35 ton log splitter from Tractor Supply Company Input!?:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firewood guy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi All.. Looking at a TSC 35 T spitter @ 1799.00 w/ a 10 % off coupon. Anyone have one and can you provide input? Is there a 4- way avail for this unit? I have a old guillotine (sp?) and a northstar 37 T that I would NOT reccomend . Too much chinese steel that bends/ warps for the power of the hydraulics. Also the TSC 35 T comes w/ a Briggs 342 CC engine that is CARB compliant. How about Briggs VS Honda in this engine size range, and a guess as to the actual HP of the Briggs? TSC says it comes w/ a 3-year warranty on the unit , w/ the normal 2-year on the engine. Saw that many of You were happy w/ the chinese replacements.. Haven't tried one yet but the price difference is a no-brainer to try it. Thanks, Mike

ONLY complaint I have ever heard about the speeco 35 ton unit, is the briggs can be an armbuster to start. Hook up an electric start and you will thank yourself.

Buddy owns one, and I own the 22 ton. Never had an issue with either unit.

Even though the 22 ton is lighter, I have never had any wood I could not split. I cut through crotches and gnarly wood just fine with it.

My Huskee 35-ton was built in early 2009, so it has the new reinforced toe plate ("H" on end).

* Newer models have the engine opposite of where the operator stands (which I would prefer), but it's not that big a deal for me. I still see the older style on the lot with the engine on the same side as the operator.

* I've been using full synthetic oil in the B&S engine and keep it in a heated garage (min 60°F). No trouble starting it. A little louder than some Honda engines I've used.

* SpeeCo mistakenly had one wrong hose on mine. They replaced it at no cost and free shipping.

* TSC put mine together with the other hose at the wrong angle, so it would kink in vertical. Once again, SpeeCo came through with a free hose.

* It splits or cuts through EVERYTHING! Cycle time is fast enough for a one person operation.

* SpeeCo does claim a 4-way wedge that will fit it.

splittertractor2.jpg

splittertractor3.jpg

Good

I have the 2009 model of that splitter and love it! I've seen the changes of this years model and I have to say I like them. The motor being on the opposite side of the operator would definitely be a plus, their hose's are a tad different to..

I'd like to note that to make sure you put some sorta insulator on the hose's if they even appear to be rubbing against the machine.. You will have to fix them if your not careful.. As in for starting the B.S engine.. I use a fuel stabilizer year round in the gas I put in it.. It starts with a couple cranks with ease..

I'd definitely purchase this again if I had to repeat my purchase..

You'll be amazed the ease it splits some hard twisted knotts in hardwoods.. Just amazing!

My Huskee 35-ton was built in early 2009, so it has the new reinforced toe plate ("H" on end).

* Newer models have the engine opposite of where the operator stands (which I would prefer), but it's not that big a deal for me. I still see the older style on the lot with the engine on the same side as the operator.

* I've been using full synthetic oil in the B&S engine and keep it in a heated garage (min 60°F). No trouble starting it. A little louder than some Honda engines I've used.
I'm a true believer in full syn oils. Thanks for the reply. Looks like the I-beam is heavy enough.. that is my complaint w / the Northstar 37 T unit.. just crappy chinese steel that bends even w/o the 4-way. We run a lot of Elm & Eucalyptus, and it is too tough for the Northstar unit.. too much force for the size of the steel.

I have the older model one, It has a solid steel toeplate. Been a great splitter. Have split a lot of knotty sweetgum and other woods that are hard to split. It will actually cut through it if it won't split. Great machine for the money.

chainsaws027.jpg

chainsaws025.jpg

chainsaws026.jpg

chainsaws018.jpg

My neighbor has had one for about 2 years and he likes his. Ive only seen it in action once and I thought it done a good job. We split some oaks and hickory, and some knotty gum and it done good. I cant remember what size his is, but I dont think its the 35ton model. The only thing I didnt like about it, was it had no throttle control. Its running wide open when you start it and wide open when you cut it off. I guess it could have a throttle and he just dont use it, Im not sure cause I never payed attention to that part.

My neighbor has had one for about 2 years and he likes his. Ive only seen it in action once and I thought it done a good job. We split some oaks and hickory, and some knotty gum and it done good. I cant remember what size his is, but I dont think its the 35ton model. The only thing I didnt like about it, was it had no throttle control. Its running wide open when you start it and wide open when you cut it off. I guess it could have a throttle and he just dont use it, Im not sure cause I never payed attention to that part.
Mine don't have a throttle control. Like you said wide open all the time.

Got a TSC flier yesterday it has the splitter marked down to 1,699 so your 10% off makes it even better. Sale starts on the 12.

Mine don't have a throttle control. Like you said wide open all the time.

That may be by design. Some small engines will blow if run at half throttle. Has to do with the lubrication system.

The Quantum Briggs on my 22 ton is only ment to run wide open, due to the oil slinger.

I own the older model 35t. Overall it has been a pretty good machine. The only knocks against it are the nylon dogs on the starter recoil (lousy design) and as mentioned earlier in the thread the engine wanting to remove your arm/fingers when you don't pull start it properly. I see that the new ones have a different engine setup which probably resolved those issues. I would recomend them.

Ive got the 35 ton new model. I have split probably about 8 cords and it is unstoppable. My only suggestion is to check the thing out after you get it home for all the fluids and hoses are installed correctly. Sorry if i dont trust the 18 year olds who work for tsc that think they know it all. If i had to do again i would have bought the 22 ton i think for a 800 less

four way wedge

I've got an older model 35 ton Speeco and it's treated me well.

did a little searching and found this in another thread

"Thumbs up Speeco four way wedges

SpeeCo has a four way wedge available. All vertical horizontal models built since 2007 will accept it except for the Huskee 22 ton unit sold at TSC. The only 22 ton Huskees that will accept the four way wedge are the 2010 models. part# for 22 and 25 ton splitters LS40144200 part# for 28 and 35 ton units LS40144300. you can order from TSC

thanks

Kevin@speeco "

from this thread http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/150324.htm

Got a TSC flier yesterday it has the splitter marked down to 1,699 so your 10% off makes it even better. Sale starts on the 12.

Thanks for the heads-up on TSC sale. It will be 50 bucks more in CA due to the CARB (Calif air resources board) compliant engine. Seems like all outdoor power and const equip is a flat $50 more if running a gas engine in CA.But hey- it's not a tax it's a FEE and that makes it OK. Arghh!! Taxed enough already.

Ive got the 35 ton new model. I have split probably about 8 cords and it is unstoppable. My only suggestion is to check the thing out after you get it home for all the fluids and hoses are installed correctly. Sorry if i dont trust the 18 year olds who work for tsc that think they know it all. If i had to do again i would have bought the 22 ton i think for a 800 less

Amen to that advise. In CA they don't use HP ratings anymore, just engine size. The 35T comes w/ a B&S 342 cc. Is that the same as yours and if so does it have a HP rating?? Thanks, Mike.

Latest posts

Back