Tulip poplar score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Got some free popple from a Freecycle ad. This tree was huge - 4' across. It was cut down last Sept and just lying in rounds since then. I grabbed my scrounging buddy and we each grabbed another and we headed off - 2 trucks and my 12' trailer. We filled all trucks and trailers with rounds and took them to our homes.

attachment.php

came back for a second load with my buddy's splitter in tow, and two of my boys along as well. The second load we filled his truck and my trailer with split up stuff. Here's my share of the split stuff, all stacked nicely in my shop awaiting next winter. The other half went to my helper.

attachment.php

About that time I chucked a piece of wood into my older son's head, and that put him out of the work for the rest of the day. Fortunately I got a lot out of him before I clunked him. Poor kid. He has a nice shiner and a few cuts on his eye, but there was no serious damage. We left soon after that.

Here's the stump and some of the rounds.

attachment.php

View attachment 220666View attachment 220667View attachment 220668

At least you got it after sitting for a while. When poplar is green it is unbelievable how heavy it is. When it sits foa few months, it seems to loose at least half it's weight.

At least you got it after sitting for a while. When poplar is green it is unbelievable how heavy it is. When it sits foa few months, it seems to loose at least half it's weight.

Someone else here told me that too. I didn't believe them, but one of the guys that I worked with on this said the same thing. You make the third. OK, I'm convinced! :smile2:

Someone else here told me that too. I didn't believe them, but one of the guys that I worked with on this said the same thing. You make the third. OK, I'm convinced! :smile2:

Always a great trick to play on an unsuspecting helper, "Load that round there in the truck for me. It's just a piece of poplar, it'll be easy....":msp_razz:

Looks like you were busy. I like the sound of it being FREE... Sure can't beat free heat in any shape or form. Nice score.

Looks like you were busy. I like the sound of it being FREE... Sure can't beat free heat in any shape or form. Nice score.

Yes you can beat it - I'd rather get paid to get my firewood!

...and already cut!

Well, not ideal. I didn't even get to fire up the saw.:mad:

Good score,glad to see the boys helping out.

They worked really hard, even the little guy! The older one worked hard until I accidentally bashed him in the face with a chunk of wood. Cut him up a bit and gave him a nice shiner. He sat in the truck for an hour while we finished up. Poor guy.

Of course you realize the genetic distance between true poplar and tulip poplar, no?

Around here, it's easy. The tulip poplars stand waaaaay above all other trees. Wood very fragrant, too.

Back