Tulip poplar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any wood is worth it if it is free. It isnt awesome, but free is a good price, Id burn it for that price!

it is lightweight wood. Mike is correct it will not lay long , with the bark on it.Up off the ground it will last years.. And termites will not touch it... I bring a little of it home if it was something that was in the way or easy to get to.

It also makes very good wood to test your saws on,then just burn the cookies.It's like spring cut cottonwood, weighs a ton when cut then 4 months later about like balsa.

I have lots of it and it goes to rot in favor of Harder hardwoods. I wish it were better as I have a few HUGE TP's (40" DBH)Id like to take down, but in my mind its not worth the work.

Stuffs like balsa when dried and burns just as good.

Around these parts a tulip poplar is just a yard tree,they aren't native.They got planted because they grow fast.

The land kind of comes full circle.It was once hardwoods from the big lake to the big river then got partly cleared.Two hundred years later they build houses in the corner of a cornfield and try and repopulate it with trees.

The native trees of that type are the eastern cottonwood and big tooth aspen.With the rich soil in these parts often a tulip poplar will have a growth ring at least 3/4 inch.Anything that grows that fast is neither heavy or strong.

We end up doing a large number of TP jobs. We burn it as long as it holds up, but prefer oak, hickory and maple. Poplar does dry quickly, so if you need a quicker source of wood, it will work in a pinch.

used it for sugaring

We had 4 large Tulips that had to come down as they had been planted about 25 years ago and now blocked the only access into the sugarbush. They seasoned nice and fast, split like a piece of cake, and burnt hot and fast. Good for the morning in the arch while sugaring...

OK, I burnt the TP and nothing else today and I have to say it is better then I thought. It burns pretty hot just fast; I think it is a decent fire wood Just need to have a lot of it.

I have gained an appreciation for Tulip poplar; a log of Tulip poplar with 3-4 logs of oak or other hard wood gives me a hotter fire quicker. The poplar ignites quickly which in turn ignites the hardwood along its entire length quickly.

It's great lumber and mills beautifully. You can stain several ways for beautiful color. It's better to burn it than to let it rot, but if you can use some wood, get it milled. Just don't let be exposed to repeated wetting.
My house is done with poplar siding, the original traditional siding, because it pitsaws beautifully. There's 40' siding at Williamsburg!

Poplar is a great barn wood, it burns very hot very quickly. We don't heat our pole barns all the time so to get it warmed up it works great. It just wont last overnight.

Latest posts

Back