Tulip Popular with random yellow leaves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might be right. (Still praying it's just an early fall) I would be devastated if the tree dies...it is just amazing when it blooms - an 100+ year old popular in full bloom is like nothing else! I will definately post some pics this weekend...need to find out where my fiance hid the camera 1st:)

and come to think of it its time to saw that wood down and plant $ more, at 100 its past its prime!!! if it was an oak then you would have a young tree, or a red wood, that would be a seedling at 100! but a popular??? come on guys lets get some grade A urban timber out of it and call it a day. also think about a storm, pick one to fall on the house, 100 year old monster or a 25 year old well managed tree???? my vote goes to the young one. $0.02.....

Treegal1, I'm seriously hoping this is all tongue-in-cheek jesting. A tulip poplar is a Liriodendron tulipifera, not a poplar but in fact in the magnolia family. It has an average life span of 250 years. Depending upon its life experiences, this tree could be in its prime. With the homeowners declaration of its beauty and magnificent presence, sounds like a tree well worth trying to protect and save.

Sylvia

Found the camera, so when it's light tomorrow, I'll get some pictures to post.

We've only used organic fertilizer in the last couple of years on the lawn...so I don't think it's a weed and feed issue. I would find it surprising if weed and feed could affect a 100 year old tree...but I'm not an expert. There was some new sand and gravel put around the new tiles...but they also used the old soil they removed as well. A soil test might be a good idea. Is this something I can buy at Lowes...or is it something I should hire someone for?

I've been keeping an eye out, and it does look like there are some other trees that are also dropping their leaves. The weather has been quite weird this year...and it's gotten unseasonably cool the last few weeks. (I'm in Ohio)

It would be a sin to cut this tree down without trying to save it. I don't want a newer model...would be like bull dozing the Colosseum ...plus if it does fall, I can rebuild an exact replica of the house in a few months...It would take 100 years to get another tree and it still wouldn't be the same.

Pics part 1

Here are some pics. We have a fenced in yard, so it's really hard to get the whole tree into the picture. There are some limbs that we know need trimmed. Those we were planning to do this fall. I will post more in another post.

Did you place the raised bed around the tree and if so how long ago?

I would encourage you to (immediately) remove the retaining boards and carefully dig away the dirt until you see the natural flair to the tree base. This is an extremely delicate and important area for the tree. It should remain exposed and not buried in dirt or mulch. This could be a HUGE component in why the tree is stressed.

Where was the septic put in in relation to the tree? Also, is that garage an original structure or a relatively new addition?

Trees don't like change and they can take a long time to express that dissatisfaction.

Sylvia

The raised structure has been there at least as long as I have owned the house - 8 years. I've planted flowers in the area every year (except this year because of the sewer work)...and I know from digging in it...there are no tree roots there...it all runs underneath. The garage has been there for at least 20 years. So the only new thing that has happened was the sewer repair this spring....

I forgot to ask - since the raised area has been there for so long...is it still a good idea to remove the structure....to maybe give it some room to recover?

I forgot to ask - since the raised area has been there for so long...is it still a good idea to remove the structure....to maybe give it some room to recover?

Yes, it is. The root crown is a delicate area that needs to be exposed to the air. Many trees can exist for years with it covered to some extent and look "perfectly" healthy (with a full crown of green leaves); however, the toll it takes in the long run can shorten a tree's life significantly.

So I would take away the wood framing and carefully pull the dirt away from the trunk, feathering it out. What you will want to look for is a broadening at the base of the tree or the first signs of significant roots. You may see little adventitious roots and these are not to be worried about. Just spread the soil out evenly away from the tree.

Then I would suggest you provide an organic mulch ring around the tree (but not covering the freshly exposed root flair - not up against the trunk) approx 2 to 3" deep. Bring this out to the drip line if possible but at least a few feet away from the trunk. The feeder roots for trees are in the top 12" of soil (generally) and start a few feet away from the trunk. They are actually comparable to leaves in the fact that they die off and replace themselves regularly. So you need not, and in fact should not, keep the area right up against the trunk overly moist.

If you do want to plant flowers in this mulched area, choose plants compatible with the tree that have moisture requirements similar to the tree. However, planting too close to the trunk, again, is not in the tree's best interest.

With the garage being there for a long period the tree has probably already compensated for its intrusion. However, all these factors can add up as the tree grows and requires more space.

Sylvia

agree soil needs to get off stem.

tree will need a while to adjust to roots cut.

columbus has a lot of good arborists--why not hire one?

tree is the tallest thing around so lightning protection may be a good investment.

My Tulip has turned yellow, almost all the leaves turned over the past few days. We had plenty of rain last week so I don't think it dried out. I am hoping its turning early as many owners have reported. Its either turning early or about to completely kick the bucket. :buttkick:

Anyone else have their Tulip Popular already changing colors?

Taipans, I would be encouraged that the tree held on to its leaves this long. Check to see that buds have set and look plump and viable for next year. If so, this tree should have a good chance of surviving.

Don't forget to put on your trunk protector.

Sylvia

My wife mentioned to me that today some are brown and falling off. However they have been turning yellow for about 5 days now, I am not sure how long usually it takes leaves to turn and dry up.

I will take a closer look when I get home, I have pretty much struggled with this tress all season, hate to lose it now without explination!

Thanks!

Back