Tulip Tree Pest/Disease

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentuckySawyer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I had a customer ask about a condition evidenced by a 15-17 year old Tulip tree (Yellow Poplar) growing in their backyard. I haven't seen the tree, so I only know what she told me. She said that all the bark around the bottom of the tree has fallen off the trunk. Probably an 2-3" strip all the way around the stem right at the soil level. The tree didn't behave strangely during the previous growing season (leafed out on time, good color, etc). She mentioned having a similar spot on one side of the stem a few years ago, which was diagnosed by a local nurseryman as some type of borer and treated with some topical chemical.

Does anyone know what these bare spots/areas are? Are they caused by the same organism? What is it and recommended treatments?

These people are aware of their trees so, I don't think they've just hit the tree with the lawn mower. She also said the tree had some root flair, so I don't think the problem is an old root basket or twine, etc.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back