Tuning a carby...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt_M

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have just revived my obsession with chainsaws (not in a crazy killer way) and bought 4x wrecked saws as parts. I got 2x MS200T, 1x 036, and on Husky 350.
They all had scored cylinders and pistons so I have replaced all faulty parts and got them all running.

My question is this.

How do you know when you have got the carby tuned correctly. I don't want to run them too lean or too rich, but don't really know how to tell when I have got the levels correct.

Has anyone got any tips or suggestions for me ?

Great site and loads of information which is good.

Thanks guys.

Matt

Always set the low side first then the high and then set the idle. Either take it to a competent dealer, another chainsaw enthusiast with a tachometer and set the saw with in the mfg's specs. Unless they are an old saw like a Mac 10 or XL-12 your not going to tune them correctly by ear in this day and time. Tachs's save saws period.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry its taken me 15 years to reply! Been busy - had a kid, put in a new kitchen etc.
Anyway

Finally got myself a tach (TTO).

I have followed the stihl service manual about tuning the carby and all went well till the last point..

" 5. Set engine's max RPM to 14,000 with H screw "

I cannot get anything less then about 14300.

Does this mean carby needs a rebuild, adjustment screw is worn ?

Matt

Thanks for the reply. Sorry its taken me 15 years to reply! Been busy - had a kid, put in a new kitchen etc.
Anyway

Finally got myself a tach (TTO).

I have followed the stihl service manual about tuning the carby and all went well till the last point..

" 5. Set engine's max RPM to 14,000 with H screw "

I cannot get anything less then about 14300.

Does this mean carby needs a rebuild, adjustment screw is worn ?

Matt
the limiter tab on the H is stopping you from fattening it up more. got to trim of remove limiter on H so u can CCW it more to bring revs down.

Latest posts

Back