Tuning a carving saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutfisher

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Other than a 1/4 pitch sprocket/bar/chain, what adjustments do you make when setting up a carving saw? Does anyone adjust the carb differently?

I set my carbs a little rich, around 12,000 or 12,500. I like to deaden the throttle response a little. I don't like the saw to go from part throttle 4 stroking to clearing out without me wanting it to.

I've also tried padding the D-handle with pipe insulating foam, to make the grip bigger. I liked the more relaxed grip on the saw, but it didn't feel solid....the grip would roll on the handlebar. I've also tried grip tape, like you use on a hockey stick, but that just made a mess.

Those are nice ideas you have there ,I never thought about the throttle response in that way, great idea. One thing i did to help my back on the last carving I did was screw it to a pallet and lift it with my Dingo loader to the right height that was the most comfortable. I have also thought about some kind of holder to achieve the right height and also be able to rotate that where it would work the best.

Just from the hip, your going to be running on the transfer slot, or part throttle a lot, not much your going to be able to do there, there just rich, under-running the "L" screw will lose response. A unusually fat "H" screw may work against an already rich saw, a catch 22.

So from the hip, carry an extra plug, but the best tune you can give it.

Latest posts

Back