Tuning in the cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anlrolfe

Honor GOD, Country and Corps
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've never had a little saw that I couldn't tune good enough and close enough on the bench or on the tailgate until now. I never would have thought. I've got a little Echo CS-306 that has the CAT punched out and that could be part of the issue not having its normal back pressure. I'm going for a little Scout outing this weekend and there's sure to be some trimming and campfire duty to be done so I got it out to dust it off the other day and it just didn't respond right. It's been sitting bone dry so it's not stale fuel. I tried adjusting the H needle and it just wouldn't clean up and under load it would falter. Either way, dropped it into a log and tuned it in the cut and there we are, right as rain.

I've experienced this issue with other saws that have Muff-Mod or neadly open mufflers like on the old classics but never on one so compact, they just seem to keep on purring.

All of my Echo saw will start and run today. The most dependable of them all might be my CS-3900, vintage 1996. But the CS-500 EVL is a few years older and it keeps on delivering. I refuse to kick these saws out of bed.

Tuning saws in the cut makes a lot of sense.

Back