Turbo 2-stroke

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the guys with the moped/scooter (need for speed) are going to pave the way for more efficient 2 stroke engines and may give us chainsaw buffs a lesson or two about building pipes or finding extra power!

The problem with forced induction on a two stroke is that you loose the excess out the exhaust port.............

Fred

I understand your concern but... this guy got 45 horsepower from a 12 horse engine! If someone could duplicate that on an 066 or a 3120 you could triple your horsepower and then some.

The problem with forced induction on a two stroke is that you loose the excess out the exhaust port.............

Fred

How much would the back pressure from the turbo counter act this.
The moped had some pretty good exhaust back fires when he was off the throttle.

Just some input from my other hobby

I am fairly new to chainsaw moding, but I have been racing nitro two stroke radio controlled cars for years. There are some interesting theory's that I think could use on a chainsaw... For example, rc guys have been supercharging two strokes for years. same principle, just a little smaller than what we would have to adapt to.

Check out this link
http://www.rbinnovations.com/catalog/supercharger.php

That is one of the more popular ones, but the engine in my last racer had a internal supercharger. The carb and crank housing were all molded as one piece. The carb set on top of and forward to the crank, and below the carb was a set of turbines that was driven directly from the crankshaft. You are talking about a powerplant that is .20 cubic inch, pushing almost one and a half ponies, at around 47,000 rpm. Compared to the stock engine that is the same displacement with half the ponies and about 29,000 rpm! Now imagine if there was a way to upscale that whole powerplant. Nitro power, with no spark plug, just a glowplug at the top. No coil, plug wire, just all muscle...

If we could ever build a chainsaw engine like that, I would have to say I would need two.. One for my saw, and another for a BIG RC CAR!!!

The problem with turbocharging is how the heck can you oil the turbo without a source of high pressure oil? Also how would the oil drain work? A really good place to look for small turbo is IHI turbochargers from japan, also hitachi, lombardini, and mitsubishi TD-02 could work. Also you would need some kind of valve on the exhaust to be able to build any kind of boost, and you would be pressurizing the whole crankcase which is what the 4-stroke guys try to avoid doing. Also the carburator would have to be modified so it wouldn't spray small pieces everywhere under boost. Also without an intercooler, the saw would probably detonate with only a couple pounds of boost. I have been thinking turbocharging a saw for a long time, but the oiling problem is the biggest thing holding me back.

Like Husky Hustler said, Im new to modding saw but have been around gas rc for some time. Mostly nitro planes and boats. When they supercharge a nitro motor there is no oil other than what is already in the fuel. These little motors are running 4-5 times the RPM's and not having a problem with oil. The only pressure is either form a fuel pump run off of the vacuum of the base or positive pressure into the tank from the muffler.

just mho.

if yur gonna run a little whimpy branch trimmer, then just buy a 7900 or something.

if yur gonna bild a CHAINSAW, then the aerochargers are just fine.

Turbo 2stroke

In the two stroke drag racing world(quads, trikes) Dan Hull of A&S racing has been very successful w/2 stroke turbo bikes using nothing but pipe design to build boost. To withstand case pressures built he has o-ringed the cases. He has been able to squeeze 140+ horse out of a Yamaha Banshee motor(Stock port configuration, stock bore, 2 into 1 pipe)which produces a whopping 32-35 horse stock. Advantage compared to a chainsaw is he is able to tap into the case to use tranny oil for the turbo, and it is a liquid cooled motor.

Last edited:
I contacted aerocharger, hopefully they will have something that will work. I have a mitsubishi TD-02 (formally world's smallest turbo) coming and I was just planning on filling the center up with oil and capping it, that would be good enough for short fire ups, but the drag on the turbo shaft might keep the turbo from spooling up altogether.

I was thinking and if you pressurize the baroil tank from the exhaust like an Rc setup you could use a light oil for barlube and to lube/cool the turbo. I was thinking about using a Yamaha seca turbo they are not expensive. I also think a butterfly valve after the exhaust might work to limit the escaped charge like a rave exhaust on a rotax engine.

A. The turbines in the turbo go insane rpm's(half million, easy), you need high pressure steady oilflow for the system.
B A banshee in its stock form has no oil pump of any sorts on it.
You could use 10-40 in the gearbox, but the oils not gonna be that clean.

Its easily customized, not really a drop in of any sort though.

Ive seen a 200+ HP Mxz 670. Crazy sled.

On a chainsaw, to run a turbo.. Im thinking some kind of oil pump driven off the flywheel , A cooler & filter if for anything other than strict competition.
its doable.

Latest posts

Back