turret on high ranger bucket has slop in it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benb941

Reaction score
have a 97 bucket truck with a 52' high ranger bucket.foreman has been complaining that bucket is moving around more than its supposed to.today I took a look at it and at the turret where the boom attaches to the truck it seems to be a little sloppy.id say it moves 1/8 inch up and down in every direction when operating boom.this means at the bucket its really moving around,probably a foot or more.all the bolts are in place and tight.what is exceptable play in here and if I have to fix it whats involved.I can see it would be no easy job.

slop in turret

I have been told its not dangerous at this point with 1\8 slop.I was told if it gets to 3\8 then it will strip gear and cost considerably more to repair.I've also been told it will cost between 4 and 6 g to fix app 2g worth of parts if I do it myself.does this sound accurate

I replaced a slew ring recently,the new ring and bolting hardware was $6,000 AUD and crane to lift it on and off $600

I replaced a slew ring recently,the new ring and bolting hardware was $6,000 AUD and crane to lift it on and off $600

how much slop was in it,did u strip the gear,i have been told if i fix it now its around 4 g if i wait its around 6 cause the slop will cause the gear to strip but probably not at 1/8 slop if it gets to 3/8 im in trouble.also spoke with a guy who said he has been running his for years with over an inch of slop in it.thinx for the input,how bad was the one you fixed

It was bad enough,I didnt measure it just fixed it....and its made the whole unit much better/tighter.

Latest posts

Back