Two-man Saws: what to look for?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Never content to leave well enough alone, I’ve been thinking about getting a couple classic saws together for folks to play with at GTGs. In particular, I’ve been thinking it might be fun to pick up an old two-man saw. But I know nearly nothing about them. So before I start looking in earnest, I have a couple questions:

-Are there any particular makes or models that I should seek out or that I should be careful to avoid?

-Are there any models that are decidedly easier to source parts for than others?

-What kind of price range should I expect running or nearly-running examples go for? How about fully restored ones?

McCulloch 2mans such as 7-55, 5-49, 99 have a difficult carb. you have to make a metering diaphram if it doesn't run. They are probably the fastest for timed cuts, and are lighter than most. Malls such as model 7 have a float carb. They float is cork, but a simple cleaning and it should work. They are not as fast as the macs in small wood, but give the macs a run in the bigger stuff. Disston (Merc) are good, but will probably need coils (2) at $50 ea. Macs have chipper chain, many others have scratcher. The scratcher will cut nearly as fast as the chipper, but takes longer to sharpen. I have posted some 2man videos on youtube, my user name is macandmall. I also have hotsaw videos posted there as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhLYPc5F-5Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGQlhDastvY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3APCY9njo0
Scott

Thanks for the links to the videos, Scott. That Disston sounds great at idle! I can only imagine what the neighbors would say.

Once I get the 044 and the Ford up and running I'll definitely have to start looking for a 2-man.

If you ever want to make the drive south from East Lansing you can take a look at some of mine and see which you like (Mac, Mall, Disston, Hornet)

Bill

Bill G said:
If you ever want to make the drive south from East Lansing you can take a look at some of mine and see which you like (Mac, Mall, Disston, Hornet)

Bill

Thanks for the invite, I will defitely take you up on it. Not sure when, exactly, but you've got far too many fun saws hanging around for me not to make the trip.

The Disston have a smooth character thats hard to describe. Two cylinder outboard style Mecury motors driving a gearbox for the bar&chain.

Motor and ignition parts are available thru a variety of sources related to rebuilding old Mercury outboards. (I haven't researched the guts but it looks to be a KG-7.)

I haven't experimented much yet, but I have a sneeking suspicion that the simple mods used to make those old mercs really turn will work on the DA-211 series Disstons. My spare DA-211 power head is going have that opportunity:chainsaw:

I sold the Disston that I restored for my Dad. Thinking about that and knowing where 2 unrestored saws are, I am going to try to pick them up and build up another DA-211. They are a sweet machine. Oh that sound....

Bob

Latest posts

Back