Two-Stroke Oils: All the Same?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, with all the criticism I'm hearing about stihl 2 stroke oil, I'm surprised some stihl dealer or engineer hasn't come to its defense.

I wonder if anyone has done a good analysis of stihl oil to determine if it is a good oil or not.
Not a dealer, but from my Observation, (RIGHT/WRONG?) ECHO was 1st to go FULL SYNTHETIC w/ 5-year warranty on the POWER BLEND, STIHL (from MY reading) stayed away for another 5-years (+/-) BEFORE GOING FULL SYNTHETIC? (MY suspicion/ experience) says any name-brand synthetic 2-stroke air-cooled oil beats any dino oil hands down.

Here in W-Europe, in Belgium at least, HP Ultra is sold in a transparent 'squeeze' bottle...

View attachment 1025257

On their website, it's mentioned that the performance class is JASO-FB, ISO-L-EGB . I checked a bottle I still have lying around and on the back label it mentions 'Made in Germany'.
And here is the Norwegian version of the HP Super (ie- pre 4-mix)

Attachments

• 2022-03-18 11.16.17.JPG
    2022-03-18 11.16.17.JPG
    910.8 KB · Views: 0
For those who run Saber, what are you mixing at?

Tried 32:1 because that’s what I have been running with other oils, and it wasn’t looking too good. This is after 20 minutes fully loaded the whole time. Not convinced at 80:1 concept just yet, but I’m thinking I’ll go to 50:1 and try again. Piston was clean beforehand and plug brand new. 70% clean 30% carbon (roughly) carbon is slightly soft and gooey, can be almost scraped off with a screwdriver. This was in a stihl weed whacker loaded the whole time and tuned correctly. 73958A86-B419-420F-995A-A49C650B218C.jpeg12839772-B3CA-487B-B4F7-4DD2A75F4A28.jpeg01AD6459-FECB-48E3-94E2-0FACEFBEB24E.jpegBDB549E3-FB54-4602-9E7D-ED3F1C383F1F.jpeg

Used stihl hp ultra mostly for at least 10+ years and no issues that i know of, but good to know that it's not a good oil. What I have left can go in the diesel truck.

I couldn't read the big oil thread too much bs. Thanks for the sparknotes.

Tried 32:1 because that’s what I have been running with other oils, and it wasn’t looking too good. This is after 20 minutes fully loaded the whole time. Not convinced at 80:1 concept just yet, but I’m thinking I’ll go to 50:1 and try again. Piston was clean beforehand and plug brand new. 70% clean 30% carbon (roughly) carbon is slightly soft and gooey, can be almost scraped off with a screwdriver. This was in a stihl weed whacker loaded the whole time and tuned correctly. View attachment 1025478View attachment 1025479View attachment 1025480View attachment 1025481
50:1 is what i would use saber at because it is such a higher viscosity oil over others because it doesn't have a diluent in it like Stihl oil.

Not a dealer, but from my Observation, (RIGHT/WRONG?) ECHO was 1st to go FULL SYNTHETIC w/ 5-year warranty on the POWER BLEND, STIHL (from MY reading) stayed away for another 5-years (+/-) BEFORE GOING FULL SYNTHETIC? (MY suspicion/ experience) says any name-brand synthetic 2-stroke air-cooled oil beats any dino oil hands down.
Power Bland is not full synthetic and just because an oil is synthetic doesn't mean it's better.

Anybody know a thing about MASTER PRO 2cycle oil that claims for use in water- or air-cooled applications.

I wouldn't use any "multi use" two stroke oil for any length of time. Couple cuts at the end of the day to finish the job, sure. Standard and continued practice, no way.
This is the oil you want to use in chainsaws it says it meets jaso fc. I have used it before with success it does smoke a little when the equipment is cold but after warming up it is fine.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...asterpro-2-cycle-motor-oil-1-quart/mp20/80022

This is the oil you want to use in chainsaws it says it meets jaso fc. I have used it before with success it does smoke a little when the equipment is cold but after warming up it is fine.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...asterpro-2-cycle-motor-oil-1-quart/mp20/80022

I wouldn't run it as engine oil in anything I care about, except maybe for a couple cuts at the end of the day. No JASO badge, no matter what they claim. If it works for water cooled engines, I doubt it actually meets JASO specs.

Tried 32:1 because that’s what I have been running with other oils, and it wasn’t looking too good. This is after 20 minutes fully loaded the whole time. Not convinced at 80:1 concept just yet, but I’m thinking I’ll go to 50:1 and try again. Piston was clean beforehand and plug brand new. 70% clean 30% carbon (roughly) carbon is slightly soft and gooey, can be almost scraped off with a screwdriver. This was in a stihl weed whacker loaded the whole time and tuned correctly. View attachment 1025478View attachment 1025479View attachment 1025480View attachment 1025481
I run 48:1 with the Saber myself

Looking at what Lucas offers, I wouldn't use that either. Anything that hints at any suitability for water cooled usage would be out.
My 1999 Gilera Runner 50ccm scooter is water cooled......it has 24.000kms on clock (thats damn alot for first rings/piston/crankshaft for 50ccm mofa)....and it still runs....

It lived with whatever FC(mostly) /FD oil back then when I was a teenager....

I wonder how Belray is in saws? I have a bunch of it laying around MC1 and H1R ?
H1R is great stuff, been using it (at 40:1) for several months so far. I’ve pulled top ends on two of my saws and was pleasantly surprised. Nice oil film and clean inside. Also like the VP mix oil.

The VP racing oil is liked by a bunch of guys in my 1/5 scale rc circle as a cheap readily available oil. Kinda funny I have a little bottle of Lucas I got as a sample that I use for assembly lol.
For the price the VP oil is hard to beat. FD rated and also leaves a nice film of oil. Carbon seems to be pretty low as well.

Back