Ultrasonic cleaners for carbs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dboyd351

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I recently bought an ultrasonic cleaner to help in getting saw carbs clean. I've heard these cleaners will sometimes get carbs to work again that didn't respond well to a regular carb rebuild. They don't recommend using solvent cleaners in these. I'd like to hear from those who have experience using these, how they work, and what you use for a cleaning solution?
Any advice is appreciated.

mean Green works great wont really harm the Allum too much

just put your Carb and screws and other parts in a plastic jar in the solution in the u/c and it works fine !

I have been using one for only less than a year but they do a great job for me to date. I do soak the carbs in carb cleaner overnight and only use dish detergent and water in the USC to do the final cleanup. The carbs come out looking bright as new and I only had one that would not work correctly after its cleaning, I found it had a damaged inlet needle seat after looking at it closely under magnification.

I have had mine for a few years. I love it (even though mine is from HFreight, it works for me!). I only use a little detergent like pioneer guy. Thus far I am well pleased!

This is just liquid dish soap and water in my USC, notice the discoloration of pre softened gunk coming from the carb ports,

Burning%2520Man%25202012%2520%2520BRC%2520001.jpg

Burning%2520Man%25202012%2520%2520BRC%2520002.jpg

I have had mine for a few years. I love it (even though mine is from HFreight, it works for me!). I only use a little detergent like pioneer guy. Thus far I am well pleased!

stihlofadeal,
Thanks for the reply. I bought the larger 2.5 qt. Harbor Freight one myself. Do you think it fixes carbs that wouldn't have worked with just a regular rebuild, including shooting carb cleaner in the orifices? Seems like I'm getting a fair number of carbs that still won't work after the spray carb cleaner/rebuild treatment. I'm hoping the ultrasonic cleaner will remedy that.
Do you use a soak in carb cleaner, before the ultrasonic cleaner, like pioneer guy?

Wow,
Thanks for the pics. Looks like that really works. How much detergent do you use?

It doesn`t really take much, a tablespoon in that tank works well for me, the vibration makes the carb literally dance around in the basket, I only use just enough water to barely cover the carb. This allows maximum stimulation of the parts and liquid.

Another thing I like about the USC is that I watch the Welch plugs carefully when I first put the carb in and turn it on. If I were to observe a tiny string of air bubbles coming from around the edges of the Welch plugs I know that they are leaking and will need to be sealed after cleaning and totally drying the carb out. Indian Head shellac or fingernail polish will seal the Welch plugs up nicely.

Another thing I like about the USC is that I watch the Welch plugs carefully when I first put the carb in and turn it on. If I were to observe a tiny string of air bubbles coming from around the edges of the Welch plugs I know that they are leaking and will need to be sealed after cleaning and totally drying the carb out. Indian Head shellac or fingernail polish will seal the Welch plugs up nicely.

Yep,
I recently found out about the welch plugs and fingernail polish. Was cleaning a carb by shooting canned carb cleaner on it and something "popped". I couldn't see what it was, but when I put the carb back together it didn't work. Someone told me to seal the welch plug with finger nail polish, so I did that and it worked fine. Guess that "pop" was the welch plug giving up it's seal. Thanks for all the advice and the photos!

If you want to use a solvent, like paint thinner, place the carb parts and the solvent in a small glass jar, then place the jar in the USC surrounded by water. If you put a top on the jar do it loosely - the solvent will heat up and will need to expand/vent a bit.

Philbert

So what is your suggestion on sealing the welch plugs?

Try Indian Head Shellac, it's a Permatex product and pretty easy to come by. The 2 oz. bottle is basically a lifetime supply for small carb rebuilds. I won't put one back together without coating the welch plugs, your already that far into it so might as well.

How much detergent do you use?

I have a commercial stainless steel unit retired from a dentist's office. I pour Purple Power into the water until the sound changes. I can hear the pitch change to a very sharp sound ringing when I have enough.

Would the bigger usc from h f be big enough to do a carb from a4stroke Briggs?

What I think you are calling the bigger USC by Harbor Freight is the one I have. It is item 95563, advertised as a 2.6 qt capacity. I measure the tub as having a length of 10 inches, width of 5.75 inches and a max fill depth of 2.5 inches (that is marked on the inside of the tub). The depth is probably what would limit what it can accept. The cycles are only a few minutes in most cases, so if the carb stuck out of the liquid a little, you could probably flip it over and run another cycle to clean the other side.

I haven't used mine yet, so I'm just guessing.

Last edited:
I use Purple Power as well or Castrol Super Clean........I've noticed the pitch change as well. Another tip is to use hot water to speed up the heat effect. The USC works much better if you run the US action through a few cycles and get it Hot before dropping anything in. I've used mine with whatever I can/need too. Used it to clean up a Meyer snow plow pump motor over the winter to remove the carbon buildup from the brushes.
It works rather well on saw mufflers if you drop them in and run them a few times then use a stiff nylon brush to get the soften carbon off then repeat the cycle. I've used it on cylinders as well. Once you start using it you'll find more uses. Works Real good on the wife's jewelry!!!!!!!! Spark plugs clean up well too using the purple power and a splash of Wesley's Bleach White.

Back