Ultrasonic cleaners for carbs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only have the smallest generic model and run times are limited to 480 seconds / 8 minutes. But that is ok for me because I run it with
1. hot faucet water and simple green the first cycle
2. hot faucet water and simple green the second cycle
3. hot faucet water and simple green the third cycle
4. hot faucet water without !!!simple green the fourth cycle

and change the water after every cycle. Usually after the second cycle the water stays clean. It's just this paranoid thing :D. Just be sure that you don't dump out the very dirty water and happen to overlook that the screen of the carb is still inside..... Don't ask how I know.... :bang:

Do you guys who use USCs feel there is a distinct advantage over the conventional method of canned carb cleaners ? I have never used one but seems they are gaining popularity from knowlegable people.

Would the bigger usc from h f be big enough to do a carb from a4stroke Briggs?
Yes, I have the HF model and did a carb this week. It does stick out of the solution. Just flip it over.

Do you guys who use USCs feel there is a distinct advantage over the conventional method of canned carb cleaners ? I have never used one but seems they are gaining popularity from knowlegable people.

I use dish soap in mine for most everything. I am amazed at how dirty the solution is after a few cycles on what I thought was a clean carb.

I use Purple Power as well or Castrol Super Clean.......

I use this stuff in the liquid form - pretty powerful for removing grease, etc.. Just remember that when you use it in a heated cycle in the USC you are probably putting some of that stuff into the air you breathe as a vapor. It's the same for the other cleaners and solvents as well, but the corrosive stuff makes me especially nervous if inhaled, etc.

Philbert

I use this stuff in the liquid form - pretty powerful for removing grease, etc.. Just remember that when you use it in a heated cycle in the USC you are probably putting some of that stuff into the air you breathe as a vapor. It's the same for the other cleaners and solvents as well, but the corrosive stuff makes me especially nervous if inhaled, etc.

Philbert

Good point, but if you put each carb in a ziploc with the cleaner and just used water in the USC, you could avoid the fumes.

I bought a cleaner off craigslist almost a year ago for $40. You can read more here: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/194843.htm It is and old dental unit. It has a heater. The timer doesn't work but that doesn't bother me. It didn't come with a basket either. I use a giant kitchen strainer and I suspend a carb in solution from a piece of wood that straddles the top with wire. I wish I had a basket but I am not complaining.

I mix water and household cleaner I got from Costco. I bought a gallon of the cleaner and found that my wife doesn't like it. If I didn't have that gallon to get rid of I would use Purple Power or something else.

When I mix it with water I boil the water first. That way the water is hot and the heater doesn't cycle as much. Nothing cleans carbs better. I have put really grungy carbs in the cleaner and they come out looking and working like new. The cleaner seems to etch the aluminum clean.

I did a foil test when I got the cleaner and it blew pinholes through the foil really fast. Like another post here said save the foil with the time in the cleaner and the date. This will help you keep track of the cleaner's performance over time.

I posted some handy links I found here: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/220362-2.htm#post4067397

This cleaner is worth every penny I paid and then some. If the picture Pioneerguy600 posted didn't convice you you should look for a friend that has one and try it out for yourself. I put nasty carbs in my cleaner and they came out looking and running like new. I won't rebuild a carb without running it through the cleaner first.

Bob

I bought a cleaner off craigslist almost a year ago for $40. You can read more here: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/194843.htm It is and old dental unit. It has a heater. The timer doesn't work but that doesn't bother me. It didn't come with a basket either. I use a giant kitchen strainer and I suspend a carb in solution from a piece of wood that straddles the top with wire. I wish I had a basket but I am not complaining.

I mix water and household cleaner I got from Costco. I bought a gallon of the cleaner and found that my wife doesn't like it. If I didn't have that gallon to get rid of I would use Purple Power or something else.

When I mix it with water I boil the water first. That way the water is hot and the heater doesn't cycle as much. Nothing cleans carbs better. I have put really grungy carbs in the cleaner and they come out looking and working like new. The cleaner seems to etch the aluminum clean.

I did a foil test when I got the cleaner and it blew pinholes through the foil really fast. Like another post here said save the foil with the time in the cleaner and the date. This will help you keep track of the cleaner's performance over time.

I posted some handy links I found here: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/220362-2.htm#post4067397

This cleaner is worth every penny I paid and then some. If the picture Pioneerguy600 posted didn't convice you you should look for a friend that has one and try it out for yourself. I put nasty carbs in my cleaner and they came out looking and running like new. I won't rebuild a carb without running it through the cleaner first.

Bob

Great clarification...Thanks !

Well, I'll put in another vote for the ultrasonic cleaner. Just ran my 1st carb thru the HF cleaner I bought the other day. Carb was off a Homelite Super EZ a buddy gave me. Had torn it apart, cleaned it and put it back together once. It would start, but ran inconsistently. I just ran it thru the cleaner, put it back together with a new kit, it coughed on the on the second pull and started on the third pull!
Hope they all work like that!:rock:

I almost forgot to thank everyone for the help! You guys are great!

i use bottles of a degreaser/cleaner i buy at the dollar store. the stuff is called Totally Awesome. Sometimes i mix it with water other times i just use it straight.

sometimes half and half with water sometimes just straight awesome lol. for the amount u get for a buck the stuff is ....AWESOME

Well, my HF 2.6qt has arrived, and will be put to use this weekend with the 10-10s carb. I think this will be a nice compliment to my parts washer.

I like the idea of the bags; will try that first. I did have some purple power at one point that I was gonna put in my parts washer, but ended up using mineral spirits, so will see if I still have that. If not, will go with the dish soap idea.

Using the bag method, would one just use a drop or two of soap?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Be careful with that. The waves in an USC can ignite flammable liquids.

Well, my HF 2.6qt has arrived, and will be put to use this weekend with the 10-10s carb. I think this will be a nice compliment to my parts washer.

I like the idea of the bags; will try that first. I did have some purple power at one point that I was gonna put in my parts washer, but ended up using mineral spirits, so will see if I still have that. If not, will go with the dish soap idea.

Using the bag method, would one just use a drop or two of soap?

I use freezer bags and just poor in some soap and water. You can always put in more soap. I turn on my USC heater as soon as I walk in the shop in the morning.

Did get to use the USC on the 10-10s carb and another B&S carb for the water pump, and will just say....

I should have bought one a long time ago.

Used the bag and dish soap trick. Heated up the water in the cleaner, then set the carb bag in there and let it heat up. Then put them through two cycles.

Haven't run them yet, but was surprised how clean they were, and how dirty the water was. You could see it bubbling inside some of the holes, even though it doesn't really look like it's doing much.

Thinking this is the only way I'm cleaning carbs now, no more carb cleaner and air hose for me.

Latest posts

Back