Ultrasonic Cleaners - What do you use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob95065

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I am starting to see that I can use an ultrasonic cleaner. I am getting into fixing saws more and I have a couple of full rebuilds I would like to do.

I was reading this thread and couldn't believe how clean the ultrasonic cleaner got the complete saw: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/48040.htm

I went on eBay and saw cleaners of all sizes and prices. What kind of ultrasonic cleaner do you use? I am looking for one that can clean carbs up to a Stihl 066 Magnum that I want to rebuild.

Please let me know what you are using and what I should look for. If you could post a link to an auction or site that sells the cleaner you recommend I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bob

I've had the 2.5L cleaner from Harbor Freight for a couple years now. Still works great. I would like to have one even bigger.

Same here and it has run pretty much full time for the last two days. Today, I ran it for 2hrs straight with a carb from an Earthquake auger in a jar of carb cleaner. Took it out popped it on, and it runs again.

I've had the 2.5L cleaner from Harbor Freight for a couple years now. Still works great. I would like to have one even bigger.

That's the one I use too. A bigger unit would be great, but we do case halves by turning them over and doing a side at a time.

I got lucky. I have a dentist in the family and he gave me his old cleaner. Never hurts to ask. Ultrasonic cleaners are great by the way.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Look through the local Sunday paper sales ads and Harbor Freight usually has an ad with a 20% off one item coupon.

Nick

I purchased one off of ebay, 5.5 liter. It had a buy it now price of 195 free ship and had a make offer option. Offered 170 free ship, they took it. It has adjustable heat and digital readouts. A small parts basket was included along with the larger basket. Has external ball valve to drain tank, very handy. I use mostly water with a little bit of a green degreaser from Dollar General. Works fantastic. Good luck on your search!

i have the smaller harbor freight model and it works great,,,,, its 2/2 on carb cleanings so far and it does a wonder on chains too..... i use simple green and water:D

I have been cleaning my case halves and parts with simpel green a tooth brush and compressed air.I told my wife the other day I want to get a parts washer maybe a 2 - 5 gal. Which would you get a normal parts washer,.. or an ultrasonic washer? Which is the faster way to clean parts?

I just could not get a carb clean on an old 020av. Nothing worked, and they don't make those carbs anymore, or the superseded ones either.

So it sat in a box for 6 months.

I got an ultrasonic for the shop and it's been fantastic. Just last week I remembered the 020 an decided to give it a whirl. 25 minutes later at 120 degrees and she purrs like a kitten.

Well worth the money. When you've got a saw like the 020 that is an engineering nightmare, requiring the disassembly of everything to get at the carb - you just want to do it only once and know its good to go.

I have been cleaning my case halves and parts with simpel green a tooth brush and compressed air.I told my wife the other day I want to get a parts washer maybe a 2 - 5 gal. Which would you get a normal parts washer,.. or an ultrasonic washer? Which is the faster way to clean parts?

It depends on what you're cleaning. A parts washer wont do much for stubborn carbs. Great for most other stuff though.

I had a thought the other day about a make shift ultra sonic carb cleaner. Take a small cup that will withstand solvents and get one of those Ultra sonic tooth brushes and just put the brush in the cup with it one and walk away. While brushing my teeth last night I thought about that and took a rinse cup filled it with water and just put the whole head of the brush in there and whne I stuck my finger in there it you could feel the movement in the water. I think it would work. I may try this for S&G :hmm3grin2orange:

It depends on what you're cleaning. A parts washer wont do much for stubborn carbs. Great for most other stuff though.

Are you guys saying that you are putting a compleatly assembled carb into the cleaner,then removing it an putting right onto a saw and it will clean it w/out tearing it down. If so that souns pretty cool.

Harbor Freight for me too. Use mine for carbs. Simple Green/water 50/50 and Seafoam in a glass jar for the stubborn ones.
Shep

I have a 20 gallon parts washer I bought from Northern Tool. You can see them here: parts washer from Northern Tool + Equipment It is great for getting rid of heavy deposits but not for detail cleaning like a chainsaw carb. U sue if for automotive applications all the time.

I've got a Kent-Moore ultrasonic diesel fuel injector cleaner that works great. I've been able to save some carbs that I thought were hopeless with it.

It's interesting that I have it in the basement and when using Simple Green in the solution and after it runs for a while, my whole 2 story house has Simple Green smell in every corner.

Latest posts

Back