Ultrasonic cleaning video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya, those things are wicked!!! Cost $$$$ though

Aaawww, come on. There's gotta be a redneck engineering way to get 'er done. Get an old metal wash tub, borrow one of the kid's big ole sub-woofers and duct tape it to the side of the tub, crank the amp up to the max, little Jimi Hendrix feedback, throw in some Billy-Bob Oxy clean......................... Watcha think?:dizzy:

Aaawww, come on. There's gotta be a redneck engineering way to get 'er done. Get an old metal wash tub, borrow one of the kid's big ole sub-woofers and duct tape it to the side of the tub, crank the amp up to the max, little Jimi Hendrix feedback, throw in some Billy-Bob Oxy clean......................... Watcha think?:dizzy:

HA HA, yup trust me the thought went through my mind.

borrow one of the kid's big ole sub-woofers and duct tape it to the side of the tub, crank the amp up to the max, little Jimi Hendrix feedback,
um, "Ultrasonic - (acoustics) Beyond (higher in frequency than) the range of sound perceptible to the human ear; with a frequency of 20 kilohertz or higher"...
You'd at least want a supertweeter!

Sorry, couldn't help it. I've never met anything prolonged soking in diesel, or scrubbing with petrol or metho can't move though. Maybe my standards aren't high enough then... Lakeside likes them. They must be good

You can buy the transducers... and epoxy them (yep - that's how it's done) to any thin metal tub... Power amp per trananducer and you're in business.. My larger unit has 4 of them...

It's cheaperr to buy used units... but buy a name brand so you can get them fixed.

Steve here...
I bought a small one for cleaning Jewelry...ya right
for my HK and AR bolts as well as small saw parts
I bought it from Harbor freight
Steve
I bet a small ultrasonic cleaner would do wonders on plugged printer ink nozzles. HK/Cetme bolts are a pain to disassemble but are somewhat self cleaning with fluted chambers.

I bet a small ultrasonic cleaner would do wonders on plugged printer ink nozzles.

I wouldn't use one on a print head/cartridge unless it was the only hope left. An ultrasonic cleaner can perforate aluminum foil (that's how you test them). That won't do a print head any good. Use a pan of heated distilled water with a drop or two of ammonia first and don't let the print head touch the bottom of the pan.

I ruined a Canon print head with an ultrasonic cleaner. It was sluggish but now it's dead.

Last edited:

A heater is a good thing. I'm sure this is just another of the no-name units coming over from China.

What do you want to clean?? Keep in mind that you'll need to fill this unit with almost 2 gallons of cleaning solution. These units shouldn't be used unless they're nearly full. That's overkill for small parts like carbs, bearings, etc.

Cleaning solution can be expensive unless you use ordinary water. I'm not sure what works best for chainsaw parts that get encrusted with sap, carbon, dried up oil, gas residue, etc. I doubt water alone would do the job.

Here are a couple homemade recipes for cleaning solutions:

1. 4 oz Murphy oil soap, 8 oz Ammonia (28%), 8 oz Acetone, 1 gallon distilled H20

2. 60-70% Stoddard solvent (ie mineral spirits), 20-30% Naptha (Coleman Fuel), 2-10% Oleic Acid (whatever that is???). Better not use this formula indoors or with heat.

Last edited:
One trick I used before I got my small unit for carbs etc:

Put the carb and it's cleaning solution in a thin pyrex (coffee pot) container and place that in the larger dirty unit.. Some loss of effciency due to the glass but it works...

You really need a second ($40-65) small unit for carbs - just so you can keep the solution clean at all time.

Heater? - Na... the Ultrasonic energy heats the solution pretty quicky in the bigger units.

I use 4:1 diluted purple cleaner in the big unit, and Coleman fuel in the smaller - yes, it's flammable.

Last edited:
I will clean anything I can with it, including carbs, injectors, chainsaw parts, ones that will fit. I've heard that Castrol super clean diluted with water works very well. I just don't want to get a small one and not be able to do what I want.

You could also keep a bucket handy to dump dirtier solution into and put clean stuff in just for carbs, then put back in the dirty stuff for regular parts.

For free (coffee pot) or second unit ($50) , I know what I would (did) do..

Tipping out or using the build in drain is a pita - you then have to clean the sludge out..

Latest posts

Back