Uncomfortable on spikes!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClimbMIT

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I haven't used spikes much since I just started climbing again. I have never felt real secure on them especially on huge pines we have here in Southern Louisiana. Well what is huge to me may not be to another :biggrin Anyway these pines I hate because you can be 80' feet or more up and no limbs for your lanyard grab hold. I would like to get better in this area because I will miss out on many removals if I don't. Anybody struggle with this? Any suggestions of videos? Any input would be appreciated! :)
Thanks, ClimbMIT

I haven't used spikes much since I just started climbing again. I have never felt real secure on them especially on huge pines we have here in Southern Louisiana. Well what is huge to me may not be to another :biggrin Anyway these pines I hate because you can be 80' feet or more up and no limbs for your lanyard grab hold. I would like to get better in this area because I will miss out on many removals if I don't. Anybody struggle with this? Any suggestions of videos? Any input would be appreciated! :)
Thanks, ClimbMIT

What exactly is the problem in the spikes?

Don't feel like I can trust them. I think Maybe my body is too close to the trunk? bad angle? I feel safer closer to it but I know it's probably not the best angle. Ok let me have it:)

Well you definitely have to trust your gear. Can't be very productive if your bear hugging the tree.
Any problems with the spikes themselves? Pads sliding around - shanks digging into your legs?

all depends on the spikes you have, some take a lot of time to break in and be comfortable. You might need to get better boots on too, Wesco highliners idk. I have Redwings loggers boots and just about any spikes are comfy in them -- and I hope you're not spiking trims, only removals?

the biggest problem most ppl have with spikes being uncomfortable is the shanks turning in on them. Trade those Kleins in for Geckos! lol

If you really spend A LOT of time on them on a big removal, you might try the ART rope guide, or just rig your climbing line up to cinch down on the spar, that way you can hang on your rope and take the pressure off your achin shins. A good way to accomplish that, is to tie a dbl fisherman's onto a carabiner, leaving a long tail on the termination; clip your rope thru the biner and you can lean on that all you want, slide down a ways, flip off with your "work positioning lanyard", reach up and grab the tail to create slack to slide that system down to your next point so you can cruise down to your next cut. I can post a pic of this if you ask -- its safe, and it does work. You'll find that you wont be spiking your way down, you'll be grabbing ahold of your knot and sliding down, a nice relief from standing on those spikes, especially if you aren't used to them ---- I never have liked them, but so much faster on removals. Works really nice if you get a grigri btw

Don't feel like I can trust them. I think Maybe my body is too close to the trunk? bad angle? I feel safer closer to it but I know it's probably not the best angle. Ok let me have it:)

Ok ClimbMIT. I am not sure about your level of experience and I am making no assumptions here, just going off your post. It sounds like you need to just get some more time on the spikes. At first (and I still do after several years), you will feel like you want to have your body close to the trunk to grab it, and to have limbs for leverage-especially as you get higher. But Lone Wolf it right. Trust your gear. Leaning in to far can cause your spikes to kick out of the tree. They grab best when your torso is a moderate distance from the tree, but not too far. Pines are probably easier than hardwood because they are softer and the spikes will hold better. You can watch many videos and talk to experts, but bottom line, get as many climbs in as you can and go the pace you feel good with. And, Golden Rule: make sure you have a second line tied on when the saw is running.
Colby

all depends on the spikes you have, some take a lot of time to break in and be comfortable. You might need to get better boots on too, Wesco highliners idk. I have Redwings loggers boots and just about any spikes are comfy in them -- and I hope you're not spiking trims, only removals?

the biggest problem most ppl have with spikes being uncomfortable is the shanks turning in on them. Trade those Kleins in for Geckos! lol

If you really spend A LOT of time on them on a big removal, you might try the ART rope guide, or just rig your climbing line up to cinch down on the spar, that way you can hang on your rope and take the pressure off your achin shins. A good way to accomplish that, is to tie a dbl fisherman's onto a carabiner, leaving a long tail on the termination; clip your rope thru the biner and you can lean on that all you want, slide down a ways, flip off with your "work positioning lanyard", reach up and grab the tail to create slack to slide that system down to your next point so you can cruise down to your next cut. I can post a pic of this if you ask -- its safe, and it does work. You'll find that you wont be spiking your way down, you'll be grabbing ahold of your knot and sliding down, a nice relief from standing on those spikes, especially if you aren't used to them ---- I never have liked them, but so much faster on removals. Works really nice if you get a grigri btw

Thanks for the feedback, Can you post a pic? I think I know what you mean. Like on the front of Wesspur catalogue?

Ok ClimbMIT. I am not sure about your level of experience and I am making no assumptions here, just going off your post. It sounds like you need to just get some more time on the spikes. At first (and I still do after several years), you will feel like you want to have your body close to the trunk to grab it, and to have limbs for leverage-especially as you get higher. But Lone Wolf it right. Trust your gear. Leaning in to far can cause your spikes to kick out of the tree. They grab best when your torso is a moderate distance from the tree, but not too far. Pines are probably easier than hardwood because they are softer and the spikes will hold better. You can watch many videos and talk to experts, but bottom line, get as many climbs in as you can and go the pace you feel good with. And, Golden Rule: make sure you have a second line tied on when the saw is running.
Colby

Thanks Greener, I think I need to play around with them low on the tree to get real comfortable. I just recently got pole gaffs Buckingham with the velcro wrap and metal inserts. These are much more comfortable than the cheapo leather pads. I am working for myself and have not been climbing much because of landscaping jobs. I am starting my tree sevice again for the second time after about a ten year lay off. I am very comfortable climbing with my rope. I also just got the rope wrench and playing with SRT for large trees to be trimmed and off course the Big Shot as well.
Oh yeh, I have NEVER spiked a tree for pruning. I know it's only for removals.
That golden rule is a definite after almost cutting through my steel core flip in 1999. ####in was scary!

Well you definitely have to trust your gear. Can't be very productive if your bear hugging the tree.
Any problems with the spikes themselves? Pads sliding around - shanks digging into your legs?

Maybe I could use a pair of tree spikes. Would there be less chance of kickin out?
I do lack trust in my gear so that is something I must work on. and losing like 20 to 30pounds! Lol

Not something I do but if your worried about sliding down the trunk. Throw a line in and have someone belay you. Actually I lied on very large trunks I'll do this so I don't have to flip my lanyard up as I go. That way if you slip your not going down the trunk.

Uncomfortable on Spikes

Tree gaffs will help, somthing to go through the Trees bark and into the wood, it is just me but I never liked pole gaffes to short always wanted 2,3/4 or 3 inch. This is something we all have had, may not admit to it but it is almost always takes time on spikes to get good. Given time when they gaff out you just jam them back in and press on. I had climbed for two years before I went on spikes, dam hard to cross over. stuck holes into everthing, boots, legs, rope, fingers. it was not good but in time you can feel like you could live in them, but as said you have to find gaffes that feel as part of your legs. I use Klines something about the way they are bent for me they work buckingham not so much

Last edited:
heres a couple pics

choker.jpg

choker2.jpg

Its very simple to tie, just a termination knot leaving a long tail, then basically use it as a choker. If you get tired of sitting on your spikes, you can hang on it, plus if you've limbed out the tree, or just coming down a spar, instead of spiking down you can just descend, dig your spikes in, flip off w/ your lanyard and tug on the tail to slack it so that you can pull it down to you and repeat. This works really good as a second tie in while you're chunking down big wood or the spar. I think it would work well in your situation if you're not yet used to your spikes, gives you a break from standing on them when theres no branches to hang your climb line on.

Something else that might help you, is pointing your spikes at the tree which sounds obvious of course, but I mean like toward the center of the trunk (perpindicular), not pointing at the ground. The more towards the ground they are pointing, the more you're likely to slip. I've slipped many times and the spikes always catch, but it can be a bit unnerving doing a drop and sliding down till they catch. It might help to remember to spread your knees a little, that will point the spike into the wood and less toward the ground.

Hope this helps.

Not something I do but if your worried about sliding down the trunk. Throw a line in and have someone belay you. Actually I lied on very large trunks I'll do this so I don't have to flip my lanyard up as I go. That way if you slip your not going down the trunk.

That's a great idea. I have actually done that once but I had wraps on the tree instead a lowering device attached to my rope. Also my groundie was not really a groundie he was the homeowner so that didn't help for comfort. I have a Big Shot and Port a Wrap I could use. Thanks for the advise!

I will have to convince my wife I need different spikes! New toys for Dad :biggrin Maybe I could to a trade show and try some different pairs until find something I like. Thanks JCT!

choker.jpg

choker2.jpg

Its very simple to tie, just a termination knot leaving a long tail, then basically use it as a choker. If you get tired of sitting on your spikes, you can hang on it, plus if you've limbed out the tree, or just coming down a spar, instead of spiking down you can just descend, dig your spikes in, flip off w/ your lanyard and tug on the tail to slack it so that you can pull it down to you and repeat. This works really good as a second tie in while you're chunking down big wood or the spar. I think it would work well in your situation if you're not yet used to your spikes, gives you a break from standing on them when theres no branches to hang your climb line on.

Something else that might help you, is pointing your spikes at the tree which sounds obvious of course, but I mean like toward the center of the trunk (perpindicular), not pointing at the ground. The more towards the ground they are pointing, the more you're likely to slip. I've slipped many times and the spikes always catch, but it can be a bit unnerving doing a drop and sliding down till they catch. It might help to remember to spread your knees a little, that will point the spike into the wood and less toward the ground.

Hope this helps.

Yes, that makes alot of since by pointing at the tree. I can make something simple very complicated at times. Glad to know they always catcth. When I watch the timber sports it just blows my mind how fast they go up and especially down. I am really glad I found this site you guys rock! I am definetly going to give all these suggestions a try. I have one more question though. Do think that choker would hold if the tree was perfectly with no branch collar? I would have to cut a small pie for an anchor?
Thanks alot for everyone's help! I bet this thread will be good for others having issues that haven't much formal training or none at all.

Yes, that makes alot of since by pointing at the tree. I can make something simple very complicated at times. Glad to know they always catcth. When I watch the timber sports it just blows my mind how fast they go up and especially down. I am really glad I found this site you guys rock! I am definetly going to give all these suggestions a try. I have one more question though. Do think that choker would hold if the tree was perfectly with no branch collar? I would have to cut a small pie for an anchor?
Thanks alot for everyone's help! I bet this thread will be good for others having issues that haven't much formal training or none at all.

I meant perfectly round tree like a utility pole and the spikes pointing at the tree with the knees slightly bent. The little 12" diameter pines that are 60' and are about 8" in girth are the ones I really hate. Very easy to gaff an ankle. I will not do those unless I can hang from another tree swing to it and piece it out

yea (I've never cut a notch for it to catch in) it will hold just fine w/o a small notch to catch on, but do what you're comfortable with of course. Just keep in mind that until you get used to it, you need to keep it "loaded", keep pressure on it to keep it tight until you have safe-tied off with your flipline.

I will have to convince my wife I need different spikes! New toys for Dad :biggrin Maybe I could to a trade show and try some different pairs until find something I like. Thanks JCT!

If you're climbing thin bark hardwoods, you will be ok with pole gaffs for a bit, but I would stay away from mature conifers with the thick bark until you can get some tree spurs. Just a thought. Lots of good advice in here.

Back