Unique old mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
COOL OLD RELIC. THE LOCAL SAWMILL I DEAL WITH HAS AN ANTIQUE CIRCULAR MILL HE RUNS 6 DAYS A WEEK. HE HAS TROUBLE KEEPING HELP AS ITS HARD WORK CATCHING AND STACKING ALL THE BOARDS IT PRODUCES. QUITE COOL:rockn:

Could i still use my orange 2100 for a power head?

Sure... as long as you've modded it enough to get 60 or so HP out of it :D

But a tractor or an old diesel truck engine is probably a better bet ;)

Cheers

Ian

Please excuse the pun, but she looks just like something that professor pat pending off whacky races would have made, just think about the wasted energy running that thing though, one could supply a small town on the juice it soaks up, not to mention the kerf.

A modern chainsaw mills would be a real contender fagainst it, changing blades would cost as much if not more than a whole CSM, best left for those to look at in a museum.

Please excuse the pun, but she looks just like something that professor pat pending off whacky races would have made, just think about the wasted energy running that thing though, one could supply a small town on the juice it soaks up, not to mention the kerf.

A modern chainsaw mills would be a real contender fagainst it, changing blades would cost as much if not more than a whole CSM, best left for those to look at in a museum.

Rail, You have no idea how fast those things are. A wide kerf, yes. Uses a lot of power, yes.

They are about 5 times faster than my band mill and I have a 40 hp cat. They are nowhere as accurate. If you saw cross ties they rock. Just do not hit a spike or insulator, if you do I hope you are not in line with the blade. The explosion is quite loud.

PS My neighbor has on that I help him with on occasion.

Had a Corley back in 82 and ran it with a D8 cat engine. They have to have at least a quarter inch inbound camber and takes a quarter inch kerf. The one we had was a 54 inch blade. I off beared a many bridge plank off the old saw and it was fast. We were poor, but strong and healthy.;)

I knew they were fast but not that fast, I was pointing out about the huge power and running cost of the monster, I'm not sure just how much it takes to get the same amount of boards per feet thing, but the profits will be down against the band mill I would think.
And taking her any where is a mammmoth task, ill stick to my band mill I think.

Latest posts

Back