Unraveling new chains (out of the box)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy_Bob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Usually I can "unravel" a new chain.

But sometimes a chain will be all tangled up, then I try to unravel it and it gets more tangled up!

Any trick to this besides patience and staring at the tangles for awhile?

One must be patient, and careful with this. normally, I dont encounter too much trouble with tangled chains when I'm pulling them from the box.

If you want some fun, take a really long chain, mess it up real good then join it so it's permanently tanged. Just slip it in the truck of your best buddy - the one that knows very thing about chain and see how long it takes for him to figure it out. Had a customer a few weeks ago that wanted to pay me to do this to a competitors chain - just for fun...

Lakeside53 said:
If you want some fun, take a really long chain, mess it up real good then join it so it's permanently tanged. Just slip it in the truck of your best buddy - the one that knows very thing about chain and see how long it takes for him to figure it out. Had a customer a few weeks ago that wanted to pay me to do this to a competitors chain - just for fun...

Actually it is more fun turning the spare chains inside out and putting them back in the tool belts when checking everyones equipment the day before going to the bush someone is bound to be swapping out a chain at some stage it gets quite comical watching someone trying to get thier chain around back to how it should be(I only do this joke occasionaly).

fishhuntcutwood said:
Good point about undoing two loops at a time. I'd say that's the best thing to keep in mind.

Jeff

i just flip then around til i get to 2 loops then i know i'm home free.

After my patience has wore thin. I holler for the wife and hand her the chain and ask her to get the @#$%& kinks out of this chain for me. Works for me anyway lol.

What is more aggrevating to a pro muchless a noob is a chain that half the cutters are backwards in the loop (very rare find new out the box but it has happened)

Mrs.ArboristSite said:
The easiest way I have found it to find bunny ears and flip them each time.
Really easy when you get the hang of it.
Darin

Like Darin said.

I can`t believe this is even worthy of a discussion. :dizzy:

Russ

aokpops said:
I was always told grab the dog buy the ears . grab the two ears an let the chain unfold .

I never have heard that, so glad I asked this question. I am learning something!

(That's usually how I learn things, by asking questions...)

Latest posts

Back