Untreated Rail Road Ties..Cutting and Burning?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wanted free rail road ties
raw wood
perfer oak wood

like 1000 or more

would be used for firewood

Check my math. I don't know the dimensions of a tie, but if they are 8X8 inches square, then stacked 6 high and wide would be 48 inches each way. If they are 8 feet long, then 36 stacked up would be a perfect, solid cord. He only wants 1000 of them, that's 27.777 cords. Wonder if he has a rail siding to unload at? I think Gunny gets number 1 :numberone: for "Most Outrageous Acts"

Check my math. I don't know the dimensions of a tie, but if they are 8X8 inches square, then stacked 6 high and wide would be 48 inches each way. If they are 8 feet long, then 36 stacked up would be a perfect, solid cord. He only wants 1000 of them, that's 27.777 cords. Wonder if he has a rail siding to unload at? I think Gunny gets number 1 :numberone: for "Most Outrageous Acts"
We have a firewood scrounger that would run him a close second for outrageous he asks our boss if there is any free wood on one of our sites boss says no but there is some at the second site around 2 kms away, next thing is we get a phone call from there , he has turned up, disregarded the scrap wood & picked quality oak, & then instructed the processor driver to cut HIS logs to length & then wants the general "gofor" to split it & load his truck & he doesn't want to be on site more than 45 minutes you can imagine the answers.

We have a firewood scrounger that would run him a close second for outrageous he asks our boss if there is any free wood on one of our sites boss says no but there is some at the second site around 2 kms away, next thing is we get a phone call from there , he has turned up, disregarded the scrap wood & picked quality oak, & then instructed the processor driver to cut HIS logs to length & then wants the general "gofor" to split it & load his truck & he doesn't want to be on site more than 45 minutes you can imagine the answers.
Technically wouldn't that be theft?!

This one character (a "friend" of my dad's) who kept hounding me for some "excellent and seasoned" wood for their fireplace a year or 2 ago. However at the time I was selling all my good stuff to another person I know well who was paying cash in advance. This character was annoying me to the point where I finally told them "Sorry, the other customer comes first, IF I have anything leftover I'll think about it" and they stopped asking. Had they kept pestering me I would have driven an hour one way to a friend's place to get a heaping truckload of dead standing Jack Pine that was as dry as a popcorn fart cut to 4" long and charged him $300 cash for it before dumping it in a heap on their front step and leaving.

Wanted.....a good woman! Must cook, clean, do laundry and dishes, be able to mow lawn, shovel snow, stack wood, have farts that smell like roses, work full time making big money, come from money, be good looking, have her own house and vehicle, no kids, and be intelligent. Big boobs and tight buns prefered

Technically wouldn't that be theft?!
I guess it would But as he got his a**e kicked so to speak & went on his way quite rapidly empty handed I don't think ever to return it was of no consequence I'm just Gob Smacked at the cheek of some folk I'm aware of the adage "If you never ask you'll never know or get" but some folks actions to me are beyond belief.

Wanted.....a good woman! Must cook, clean, do laundry and dishes, be able to mow lawn, shovel snow, stack wood, have farts that smell like roses, work full time making big money, come from money, be good looking, have her own house and vehicle, no kids, and be intelligent. Big boobs and tight buns prefered
Gee you're not aiming very high there then. :clap:

What can I say? I'm just a simple man with simple wants.....like Gunny!!!
There's simple and there's reasonable.

Asking for primo hardwood from folks who either burn wood or sell it for a living isn't reasonable lol.

At this point I'd say he's either totally irrational or just trolling us.

Its like one of those people you meet who tell you something so outlandish you think to yourself "They can't possibly be serious", then you realize they are.

Mind boggling!!!

If it was that easy to get free hardwood, everyone would already be doing it!!!

LOL

I've pointed out to him about a dozen times that this is a global site and the chance of any one person being in his area and willing to give free primo wood is next to zero. His efforts would be much better spent combing his local CL and FB pages whete he might have a prayer at getting handouts.

I work for the railroad, and up to about 10 years ago, they used to let employees take as many old ties home as they wanted, of course cresoste treated. But were good for gardens, driveways and such as stated earlier. Those days are long gone now....all those scrap ties are sold for whatever they can get, no more for free. And although the majority of the systems are still wood ties....they're slowly replacing them with concrete ties. Wood ties will be a thing of the past one day.

The Pi***ng off factor on these carry on"s to me is the fact that you are trying to earn a crust, or have a supply of wood for your own use .Time/money is spent processing the wood & then along comes Joe Scrounger asking for FREE handouts ,BUT he doesn't want the perfectly usable left overs he wants the quality cut/split hard wood& & if you load his truck that' s sort of what's expected anyway?In most cases he never asks what he owes or in some cases doesn't even say thank you A case in point as part of my "Wages" i get an amount of quality wood for home heating this is in metre lengths as Ive been cutting & stacking for 2019/20 use a pick up truck passed up & down the lane while I was cutting & after I had cut some3 cubic metres on about his 4th pass he stopped got out & opened up the conversation with "You won't be wanting/using all that wood then,"& I could use some ,when I said I could sell him a couple of metres he replied"I hadn't planned on paying anything"I"m unemployed you know" I then told him that his truck was more modern than mine & he should sell it replace with an older one he would the have money to buy wood .He left calling me all the "Rotten Ba***rds & other expletives I told him not to get any idea's on taking any as the dogs are are partial to 'beans " Human Beans" & like leg & arse meat best.

Latest posts

Back