Unusual Oregon bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonsereds 621

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up a fresh non running Jonsereds 49sp a few days ago and with it came an unusual bar. It's an Oregon sprocket nose which does not look to have done a lot.(like the saw). The strange (to me ) bit is that the sprocket in the nose is deliberately offset upwards....or downwards if you turn bar over, giving the first impression that it is complete toast. This appears to be as from factory. The numbers on the bar are :-7735 2058 0317TS. It obviously has a purpose.....but what? Plunge cutting perhaps, or carving? As I have a chain that will fit I shall use it as it is......when I have rectified the points problem, and fresh seals etc. I would be interested to hear what it's true purpose is. Any ideas? It looks as though it would be a simple matter to replace the removable riveted on roller nose with a conventional one.

I hated those things, they seemed to eat the tip fast

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Meant for a homeowner who buys bar oil by the quart and will never put enough use on their saw to have to clean the air filter, much less flip the bar. The slightly smaller kickback zone means that out of 100,000 saws sold, two less people will wind up in the ER because of it. I guess that's a win.

Meant for a homeowner who buys bar oil by the quart and will never put enough use on their saw to have to clean the air filter, much less flip the bar. The slightly smaller kickback zone means that out of 100,000 saws sold, two less people will wind up in the ER because of it. I guess that's a win.
Actually, they were quite an innovative, and creative approach, IMO: better than the 'tip guards', which get in the way of a lot of cutting:
Screen shot 2020-07-09 at 12.53.31 PM.png

The banana bars led to the development of low kickback bars, which have a uniform reduced radius at the tip, and can be flipped over to balance wear. Large radius bar tips were largely (sorry) to reduce friction, especially before roller nose and sprocket nose bars became dominant. Some guys still prefer the large radius bars for bore / plunge cutting. The small diameter tips are better for limbing, etc, where they can slip in between branches easier.

Philbert

Yes, that's just what it is. I'd never seen or heard of this before. I reckon I'll just stick with the conventional setup. A fresh 3 rivet nose will likely cost more here than the saw did.

Back