Up & Over

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
You`re half way up a tree and discover your rope and hitch are tight to a limb.
What method do you use for getting by this limb?
I usually just push myself away from the limb and fight my way past it.
I can`t see an easier way to get by it but I thought I would ask.

Flip upside down, get my feet on the branch and work my way up.

Usualy when footlocking I can sand on the lock and get the ascenders past the branch.

I struggle.
not4me.gif

Depending on the situation, I will typically:

1. Keeping on ascending (struggling) past the obstacle

2. Do a JPS stated and inverse (flip) so that my feet are above my head and thrust up and over the obstacle

3. If the limb is dead.................remove it!

Push back and watch my fingers.
or
If really a tough one I'll throw a loop of webbing around it to stand on.
or Footlock.

I've never tried the upside down thing, I"ll give that a try. Good idea.

Greg

Hey Greg,

One thing that I'll warn you about............... watch your helmet.

Needless, to say I learned that unless secure they can desend faster than an arborist being attacked by wasps!

:D

... and your wallet.
You want to see your ground help move fast just drop your wallet! :D

I had a groundman once, BIG guy named Reggie. He told me that if I ever fell, I had to be on my feet before he got to me. If not, he was going for my pockets first! Dead men don't need a wallet!

(my wallet stays in the truck when I'm climbing- he wouldn't have gotten anything anyways. ;) )

Ya, chin straps are great, but ear muffs work pretty well too. I typically snap one down over my ear when moving around in the tree................this way the helmet stays on and I can still hear people on the ground.

I agree with you JPS.

But the thing that you have to keep in mind is that I'm from Manitoba. Therefore, the average sized tree is about 35-40' tall. You don't really get a chance to pick up too much speed before reaching the trunk. I only get about 1/2 a Winsconsin bounce!

:D :D :D

Don't let anyone fool you, Milwaukee is not famous for massive trees. A 70' tree is big for us, too.

Nickrosis, about to get a PMI helmet cuz it's COOL and functional

Last March I took a road trip down through Milwaukee, said hi to JPS, continued onto Chicago and did some volunteer work for a company operating out of the suberbs, then returned home.

And what did I get from this trip. Three fun filled days of playing around in trees like a park filled with 75-80' Burr Oaks. Now that brought a smile to this Canadian's face.

Be warned...................I'm returning to the area in the early part of November...................bet there's no arborist out there that can figure out why? :D Kidding!

Nick, Don Blair has the Kiwi helmets in the dielectric model with with muff clips for $75

Sierra Moreno Mercantile Co.
P.O.Box 292, Big Pool,
Maryland 21711, U.S.A

1-800-262-0800

Dave gives the chin strap 60% of the helmet value. Great quote.

At our TCC one of the judges had on his Petzl helmet with the chin strap tucked up inside. Didn't make sense to me...

Tom

Back