Update on big Hickory tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT78

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well my father in law came over and looked at it and said we can drop it. He was in the logging business for 10 years so I trust his opinion. So here are the pics.

Pic029.jpg

Pic030.jpg

Pic031.jpg

She went down nice and smooth and did split a little after it hit the ground.
We just roped it off and pulled it with his truck while I cut it.

I would have dropped it from the ground too .Kind of wish the arborist who bid it could have got some cash out of the deal .They seem to have been pretty fair about there bid if they were going to bring a bucket out for only 400 bucks . I probaly would have put it on the ground for 300 bucks .But no bucket no climbing . I think you probably could have put your rope a little higher other wise looks good .

Nice job, thanks for posting the pictures. They prove that:

1. Despite what the contractor said, the tree was safe to climb.

2. Despite the comments on this site, the decay in the cavity was not a significant defect.

3. Despite the comments on this site, the codominant union was not a significant defect.

Have fun with the wood, and plant some new trees where they will do you some good!

A lot easier to judge when you are at the tree and can poke around in the cavity and judge what it's actually like. I see he was carefull to cut the notch so that it did leave mostly solid wood for the hinge and so it fell as planned. :)

Thats still a significant cavity and rot in there, I still think taking the tree down before building near it was a good move ;)

Ian

I actually made the cut but my father in law told me where to cut it. Thanks for the comments. I would have liked to have given the tree company some business because they are some nice folks but I couldnt see paying 400.00 for something I could do myself.

:clap: :clap: As Thall would say "Cool Beans!"
Good ya got some help on it, sounds like just the man for the job too :D

:cheers: And enjoy that wood! Stick some away fer the BBQ eh! (just my tummy thinkin' overtime :) )

Serge

I would have liked to have given the tree company some business because they are some nice folks but I couldnt see paying 400.00 for something I could do myself.

this is the same thing other homeowners where thinking. before they got killed or banged up in some way or another doing it themselves.

And never mind that large crack on one of the codom stems, that wasn't ready to come back and kill anybody!!!:dizzy:
Sometimes things are said that nobody wants to hear, becasue they are the right and safe things to do.

But hey, I'm just a moron, what do I know?

Well I was going to have the tree company drop the tree because I wasnt sure about doing it myself. So I asked my father in law because he spent 10 years felling trees for a logging business I feel like he has enough experience to tell me if the tree was safe to drop ourselves and He Was Right. I would not recomend this solution for everyone. The only reason I felt ok with this is because I had someone with a lot of knowledge helping me. If I didnt have his help I would not have dropped this tree. And yes the tree did split after it crashed with tremendous force on the ground.

Sheesh guys..

Here is a guy that does get advice, has the correct gear, has a sensible plan to drop the tree, and it works out fine.

Not exactly the same as some maroon attacking a big tree leaning over their house with the trusty wildthing. :dizzy:

Cheers

Ian

Good job JT! Your approach is exactly what I envisioned when I PM'ed you. Congrats on getting it down. Have fun bucking it up for firewood.

I'll bet that if you spent $20 on a gift certificate at the local pizza place and sent it to that arborist who is out the $400, he won't be mad.:)

hey JT. i couldnt help but notice your sig line. i think you have too much stick on that 359. drop it down to a 18 inch bar and get a 24 inch for the dolmar. to go along with the 28 of course.

have some fun in the wood pile.

Last edited:
I'll bet that if you spent $20 on a gift certificate at the local pizza place and sent it to that arborist who is out the $400, he won't be mad.

You know thats not a bad idea I really like these guys and my family has given them a lot of business.

Does the brother in law teach forestry............

No actually it is quite funny he is a couch potato that is scared to even use power tools but is 6'5 and about 245 lbs.

I just didnt want to bother my father in law he quit logging because of his back herniated disk and a pinched nerve along with surgery and he works a desk job now.Thats why I got to cut the tree. But I think he really enjoyed helping I think he misses being a logger.

Yeah Im planning on getting rid of that 28 for the 359 but it was purchased before I found this site and yall talked me into a bigger saw. :greenchainsaw:
I appeciate all the advice I have received here and have really enjoyed arboristsite. Makes me want to change my profession.

To drop that tree would of cost you $100.00 where Im at with no cleanup & if you wanted cleanup $225.00 tops!! that wouldnt be my price but you would get alot of landscaper tree service types to do it for that, heck probably a grass service!!

we have a company that is a handy man service, that would do cheaper still!! so honestly you doing it & saving $$$ along with the help you got was a good move & it looked like you had a lot of room to work!!!

LXT................

Well I was going to have the tree company drop the tree because I wasnt sure about doing it myself. So I asked my father in law because he spent 10 years felling trees for a logging business I feel like he has enough experience to tell me if the tree was safe to drop ourselves and He Was Right. I would not recomend this solution for everyone. The only reason I felt ok with this is because I had someone with a lot of knowledge helping me. If I didnt have his help I would not have dropped this tree. And yes the tree did split after it crashed with tremendous force on the ground.

Sorry JT, my comments were not aimed at you!!
I think you did fine, you asked, and actually listened to some good advice, found a more feasable way, safely dropped the tree, and made somebodies day in the proccess!!:clap:

Back