Upgrading from an MS 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooperforeman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions....I got an offer on my MS 290 so I think I'll let it go.Since I have an MS 211 for the small stuff,I'm thinking of getting something bigger that can run a 20" bar.Would the MS 362 be a good choice? Or should I be looking at an MS 441?

If you were happy with a 290 and it did all you needed then you will be much happier with a 362 and should serve you well. If you surely need a lot more saw than the 290 then go for the 441. They both are nice saws.

Yep, the 290 did everything I needed,but if I'm getting a new saw I thought I should get a PRO model. I thought about a 261 too,just not sure how well it would handle a 20" bar.

My dad has a 261, traded his old 290 on it. I'm sure the 261 would run a 20", but an 18" is what he's running and it rips! I was blown away by the power that unit had.

That being said I have s 362 and it's very impressive for it's size as well, pulls a 20" w no trouble at all. Occasionally I'll throw a 25" on if I need to cut up bigger stuff, and it will handle it fine as long as you don't force it.

I have no experience with the 441, however I will attest that you would be much happier with a 362 or even a 261... Don't let the size of the 261 fool ya.

Last edited:
A 20" on a stock 261 is the max you should run. If you plan on running a 20" frequently then step up to the 362. I have a 362 that I run a 20" on and occaisionally a 25", it pulls the smaller bar great and the larger bar is for when I don't want to bend down as far for small wood. My brother has a 290 and my 362 smokes it, you would not be displeased. The weight is the same for both saws but the 362 has much more grunt.

A 20" on a stock 261 is the max you should run. If you plan on running a 20" frequently then step up to the 362. I have a 362 that I run a 20" on and occaisionally a 25", it pulls the smaller bar great and the larger bar is for when I don't want to bend down as far for small wood. My brother has a 290 and my 362 smokes it, you would not be displeased. The weight is the same for both saws but the 362 has much more grunt.

I love the 25 for even cutting up small stuff as well.... Saves the back

I have just over a gallon of fuel thru my 261 and I've ran both .325 and .375 on a 20" bars and there is no problem with it :msp_thumbup:

One of the downunder guys is running a 25" bar on his (I saw that on a thread here on AS)

I have a MS261 with both 16" and 20" bars, I run it with the 16" most all the time. The saw balances better, cuts faster and just feels much more lively with the 16" so I only switch to the 20" when absolutely needed. In fact I may just sell off the 20" bar and chains and roll with an 18".

If I had the need to run a 20" bar on a regular basis, I'd bump up to a bigger saw than the 261 or have it modded.

Yep, the 290 did everything I needed,but if I'm getting a new saw I thought I should get a PRO model. I thought about a 261 too,just not sure how well it would handle a 20" bar.

365XT...Best potential for power for the buck right now. That is unless you don't have a husky dealer around... In which case either of the 2 stihl's you mentioned will be an improvement over the 290...
I guess... If you have to... Buy another stihl...
:msp_wink:

I would get the bigger saw hell go for a 460 it's only a couple lb, heaver then a 362 and will pull a 32-in bar no problem I have a 290 & 460 and will take the time to put a 25 in bar on the 460 over using the 290.

365XT...Best potential for power for the buck right now. That is unless you don't have a husky dealer around... In which case either of the 2 stihl's you mentioned will be an improvement over the 290...
I guess... If you have to... Buy another stihl...

+1 The 365xt easily knocked the 6401 out of first place in the pro saw "bang for the buck" competion. Mid $500s for a 4.7 hp pro saw or mid $500s plus a little restrictor grinding and one has a 5.4 hp 372xp with a smaller air filter..

+1 The 365xt easily knocked the 6401 out of first place in the pro saw "bang for the buck" competion. Mid $500s for a 4.7 hp pro saw or mid $500s plus a little restrictor grinding and one has a 5.4 hp 372xp with a smaller air filter..

That, and it's just a darn nice overall package... If the folks at Husqvarna realized what they had there, it would be a $675.00 saw... A real work horse...

Back