Urgent Help Rayco RC12 Clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IsaMichael

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Thank you for reading,
I have just purchased a used late 2009 Rayco RC12 through eBay, and upon its arrival I found that the machine would not only fail to start with the ignition key, but also the clutch would not remain engaged above 1500 - 1600 rpm.

Local auto electricians have replaced the emergency stop switches (which had been tampered with), so now the machine at least starts using the ignition key.

The main problem that now exists is that the Logan clutch will not remain engaged.

It was thought that he hydraulic pressure to the high / low pressure valve on the bell housing may be responsible, so it was checked and found to be at 250 psi (recommended max being 200 psi) and was adjusted accordingly by local hydraulic fitters. (this did not fix the problem)

It was then thought that the signal from the alternator to the computer was at fault, the alternator has now been replaced and the problem still remains.

When the signal wire from the alternator to the computer is disconnected immediately after engaging the clutch, the clutch remains engaged, but the feed rollers and tacho don't function.

My local auto electricians are at a loss, and I am almost $30 000.00 out of pocket for a machine that I can't put in to service. ( Of course the seller is adamant that the machine was delivered to the transport company in perfect working order, and is refusing to reimburse me. )

Please, I desperately need ideas as to what could be the cause of this problem

Thank you
Michael.

Hi there first off who did you purchase the machine from? Two seasons ago I owned a RC12 the previous owner had the computer replaced under warranty. this machine came with a Logan clutch from what I understand Rayco does not use this manufacture anymore. I contacted Logan and they sold me a upgraded version of the clutch and it worked good after that. I sold the machine and I went back to the old manual style clutch. Sorry to hear your seller was not honest. Good luck mate.

Thanks guys,
I live in Australia, and the machine was purchased in New South Wales.

Our local auto electricians have been working with Rayco Australia to find a solution to the problem, I was told that they were also in contact with Rayco U.S.A for their help.

Hopefully today they can come up with a solution.

Automatic clutch assembly was not holding the pressure of hydraulic fluid. If you can catch it before your clutch gets covered in oil that is one less thing you will need to replace. This was the problem I was experiencing. The updated system Can handle the pressure.

I wish I could post a video of what I'm experiencing.

What originally happened was the clutch would engage, I would then ramp up the engine speed and the tacho would climb as usual. Once the engine reached approx. 2700 rpm, the tacho would quickly start dropping its rpm reading all the way back to zero rpm and the clutch would disengage. For some reason, the tacho was reading zero rpm while the engine was still revving as per usual.

I wish I could post a video of what I'm experiencing.

What originally happened was the clutch would engage, I would then ramp up the engine speed and the tacho would climb as usual. Once the engine reached approx. 2700 rpm, the tacho would quickly start dropping its rpm reading all the way back to zero rpm and the clutch would disengage. For some reason, the tacho was reading zero rpm while the engine was still revving as per usual.
Is the tach part of an electronic control unit that is malfunctioning maybe? I know on my chipper it is.

I believe it is. The problem being, if the control panel is ordered and found to not be the cause of the problem, I can't return the panel for a refund. I really am stuck.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251725462086?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This is the machine I bought. $23 500.00 for the machine. $2480.00 to get it delivered and $3000.00 worth of parts and labour so far (the final invoice has yet to be received as the machine is still inoperable).

I have been in contact with the seller and he is prepared to "refund the original purchase price" of the machine ($23 500.00) but requires me pay for the return freight (another loss of $2400.00 - $3000.00).

He has no interest in reimbursing me for the repairs or delivery of the machine, even though it was delivered inoperable.

He realizes I can't absorb the loss of $8000.00 or $9000.00 if I were to return the machine for a refund of the purchase price alone.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251725462086?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This is the machine I bought. $23 500.00 for the machine. $2480.00 to get it delivered and $3000.00 worth of parts and labour so far (the final invoice has yet to be received as the machine is still inoperable).

I have been in contact with the seller and he is prepared to "refund the original purchase price" of the machine ($23 500.00) but requires me pay for the return freight (another loss of $2400.00 - $3000.00).

He has no interest in reimbursing me for the repairs or delivery of the machine, even though it was delivered inoperable.

He realizes I can't absorb the loss of $8000.00 or $9000.00 if I were to return the machine for a refund of the purchase price alone.
Did you talk to Ebay yet? Try to hot wire the clutch. 3K spent already and no one thought of the electronic control unit?

Because the machine had raised hydraulic pressure that needed to be set back to safe parameters, faulty OEM emergency stop switches that needed replacing etc, the labour costs become quite expensive ($120.00 an hour!)

Ebay have suggested I pursue an internet fraud case against the seller, but because I did not pay through PayPal, I am not covered by their guarantees.

The seller has just returned an email through ebay, refusing to reimburse me what so ever. I guess I will have to follow up using legal channels.

Because the machine had raised hydraulic pressure that needed to be set back to safe parameters, faulty OEM emergency stop switches that needed replacing etc, the labour costs become quite expensive ($120.00 an hour!)

Ebay have suggested I pursue an internet fraud case against the seller, but because I did not pay through PayPal, I am not covered by their guarantees.

The seller has just returned an email through ebay, refusing to reimburse me what so ever. I guess I will have to follow up using legal channels.
Just fix it the trouble will not be worth it. Unless the engine is bad. Get a real good diesel mechanic to look at it. Call the manufacturer and start trouble shooting your self. When you speak with Rayco are you speaking with a technician? Maybe pay a Lawyer to send him a letter threatening suit and see if he scares. Call the clutch manufacturer. Get schematics of how this is wired.

Latest posts

Back