US Largest Lobloly Pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob, about ten years ago we cut an area called Pond creek bottom that had 40 and up to 60" inch loblollys in it all day long, at that time the mill had us bucking 16's, they were hauling them on 4 bunk trailers, and would average 3 on the back, and 3 on the front, they were nice trees, but cutting down there ain't easy cause most of them you can see how high the water had been on them, made for some severe dirty cutting, sometimes 3 and 4 chains a week, and you would have to keep your eyes peeled for them 5 or 6' rattlesnakes and watermoccasins that big too, not only on the ground but in the trees too, but made good money so that made it worth it.

Thats good to hear you actually got to fell some of those monster Pines,I don't think I've ever seen a piece of standing timber that large in my life atleast not in the flesh I have seen my share in books etc..Your right 4-5 chains a week those things must have been real dirty to eat up that many,I don't think I would like to be cutting near any snakes or watermocassins though that does'nt sound like pleasent cutting but if the pay was right :D thats all that matters..Thanks for the info.

Rob.

Back