USDA Forest Service Officer shot and killed while on duty

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that you should never pull a trigger w/o knowing for sure what you are shooting at..........but if you are night hunting, unless the moon is out you are probably many times only looking at eyes.

I think this whole deal is tragic, but I believe it is possible that the shooter did not purposely kill the ranger. JMHO.

Waylan

there are no IFs, ANDs OR BUTs when pulling a trigger....until you recognize this fact you should not be hunting/handling guns. my parents taught me this lesson at a very young age as i will my child.

devin

I didn't read where anyone was crawling on the ground. But IR night vission goggles do make other sources of IR light up really bright. Look like coyote eyes I doubt it. They should of been able to see the body of the yote before pulling the trigger. This is truely sad event.

Ray

Not a hunter myself, so wasn't going to comment at first, but...

If you go out at night, in an area where you know folks are hunting, it seems you would want to take extra precautions. Simply relying on the other guy to do the right thing & not make a mistake doesn't cut it.

Same with driving. You need to expect the other guy to do something stupid and plan ahead for it. Just cuz the turn signal is on doesn't mean he won't go straight ahead.

Plan & act on what the other guy MIGHT do, not what he SHOULD do.

Not a hunter myself, so wasn't going to comment at first, but...

If you go out at night, in an area where you know folks are hunting, it seems you would want to take extra precautions. Simply relying on the other guy to do the right thing & not make a mistake doesn't cut it.

Same with driving. You need to expect the other guy to do something stupid and plan ahead for it. Just cuz the turn signal is on doesn't mean he won't go straight ahead.

Plan & act on what the other guy MIGHT do, not what he SHOULD do.

so i take it you still have an underground bunker 'case those commies push the button...:dizzy:

Mindfull drunks. Funny **** Maynard. What unit do you want to put in for deer? I have never shot a mulie, all blacktails....I'm thinking down in the SE corner of the state. Nice country around the Owyhee area. Rugged as hell! I got an extra rifle too. Not sure if I'm gonna have time to go archery for elk or not, at home with our big fat, Roosevelts.

Don't put in for Ochoco deer, Good on Ochoco Archery Elk though. Look into Chesnimnus. But you're right, nothing more beautiful the the SE corner.

Leading into saying.. I think it was a tragic accident, but no one is relieved from having to identify their target. My prayers for the family.

As I understand it, if you kill anyone hunting, you are at fault, period. You MUST know your target and anything beyond. If you are not 100% sure, you do not shoot, it's that simple.

How on earth could anyone mistake a persons eyes for an animal that would be on all 4's? Last I knew a coyote is not 5 or 6 feet tall..

Seems to me this hunter will most likely be charged and eventually found guilty of manslaughter. Even if it is involuntary, most likely, depending on the state laws will see some amount of jail time.

As I understand it, if you kill anyone hunting, you are at fault, period. You MUST know your target and anything beyond. If you are not 100% sure, you do not shoot, it's that simple.

How on earth could anyone mistake a persons eyes for an animal that would be on all 4's? Last I knew a coyote is not 5 or 6 feet tall..

Seems to me this hunter will most likely be charged and eventually found guilty of manslaughter. Even if it is involuntary, most likely, depending on the state laws will see some amount of jail time.

Not sayin it was justified. But what if the ranger was on his knees or sitting or laying down.

Not sayin it was justified. But what if the ranger was on his knees or sitting or laying down.

Bless him. But I gotta say, to go spying on folk, knowned to be armed, in the dark even. Is that asking for good? He may have been right, but that doesn't mean it wasn't foolhardy

ranger shooting

Bloody rednecks will shoot at anything that moves. Shoot first ask questions later. The USA needs better gun control laws and obviously mandatory hunters training courses. Just because you can walk and chew gum at the same time doesn't mean you should get a hunting license.

Latest posts

Back