Used chains, anyone? :D

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamradio

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-OF-USED-STIHL-CHAINS-FOR-029-CHAIN-SAW_W0QQitemZ280029488424QQihZ018QQcategoryZ26261QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Why would someone spend at least $40 on some 9 used chains? Who is saying that some moron didn't try to file it all weird (got some chains with a saw, and someone felt the urge to file the depth gauges off the chains all the way; cut terrible, kept stalling the saw, and cut crooked, put a good chain on, and cut like a dream).

I have access to a pile of probably at least 25 20" full chisel STIHL chains (when I need a new chain, I just go to the pile), with about half left on the cutters on most, and I can have the chains. Why would you buy a lot of used chains on eBay that you don't even know are filed right?

hamradio said:
Why would you buy a lot of used chains on eBay that you don't even know are filed right?

I am sure someone who rebuilds saws and flips them on eBay will pick them up, and slap them on a wore out, spray painted, new looking bar, and sell it on a cleaned up, but wore out saw that looks decent at 10 feet in a crappy picture, and get top dollar for it! Nobody can hope to understand eBay good stuff goes for nothing, and junk brings top dollar.

Well, this shot taken through the spotting scope is interesting......

aa_1.JPG

i sell my old bars on e bay it amases me people want them but $20 is better than binning them...

I would not buy the chains off of EBay but I do buy a lot of used chains. The last batch was about three weeks ago and amounted to about 60 loops. Most were about a quarter used up and in need of serious sharpening. Good practice and cheap. There were 10 loops of new 24" Stihl chains that had rusty areas from poor storage, take them apart remove the rusty areas and made 10 16" to 20" loops. Cost me $20.00 and about two hours to process all the chain. Have been able to do that a couple times a year. Call me cheap but it leaves fun money available for used saws. If I buy more saws then I need more chain. It is a vicious never ending cycle of glorious fun.

If anyone remembers who wanted old done chains I have a bunch. I cannot seem to bring myself to recycle them, yet.

Justsaws said:
Call me cheap.

CHEAP!!!!
:hmm3grin2orange:

Oh come on you had to see that coming.

I do the same thing though, kind of. I get hold of brand new rototiller chains. or at least that is what the user must have thought they were. and file them back until they look decent and then set the depth gauge. These chains are usually so bad that I end up with a little more than half a chain left. Like it has been said, good practice. I also think I will try to square file some of the beautys, I really don't have much to loose.

CaseyForrest said:
There is also someone selling a 260 that comes with 30, one time use chains.

:D Guess they couldn't sharpen, just bought new!

Latest posts

Back